Help with hay in Michigan

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Jun 18, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    What should I be feeding goats in Southeast Michigan right now and through the summer? This is their second summer here at our place, and last year they ate only the pastrure grass/weeds. They seem to be fine with that, but is it wrong?

The hay I used over the winter was great. It must have been last cutting, as it came to my neighbor on a wagon right out of the field and was very green. The last bail I have now is still green!

This particular farmer has nothing left from last year, and has not cut this year. I assume that I got second or third cutting last year since it came lso late!

The other neighbor farmers hay looks more like straw. It is all brown and no leafs to it. I don't know if the goats will or should eat that. Do I bother or just leave them on pasture?

Please advise and thanks in advance!

Thanks

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As long as they are getting a good loose mineral free choice and seem to be in condition to you, they should be fine...especially if you don't have the hay to feed them....I basically do the same here, though with milkers they also get grain and I keep hay in the racks on rainy days because my goats just hate to get wet! If all you have is the brown looking hay, they will pick thru it to get the good stuff and leave the rest in the rack or basically step all over it...it may not provide the nutrients they need but does add bulk and fiber to their bellies. :)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    grazing and browsing will do them fine. Provide some loose minerals as well as some grain if they are milking or are young.

4. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I should have commented that these are Boer goats. Two does, one wether.

5. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007