Help with herd name ideas Please

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mommaB, Nov 3, 2009.

1. So I bought my first registered niggi!! Yay! Buuuuuut shs is probably preggers, thats good too! Anyhow I need to come up with a herd/farm name! My actual name is Tisie Brasuell my husbands name is Josh, I live in the columbia river gorge, I live on a hill called Snowden.
    The names I have considered are:
    Tisie's tiny hooves
    JT's Snowed In ranch/acres
    Brasuell Acres

Anyhow any suggestions would be greatly appriciated and seriously considered!
    Thanks Tisie

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Your herd name should be unique to you, you have a good many choices down and PHF gave a really good one too.

Mine came about in the honor of my first lost girl, and she meant alot to me.

Also, if you bought your doe bred, the kids will carry the bucks owners herd name on registration papers

3. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Don't forget that you can only have so many lettters and spaces per name, so if you make your herd name too long you won't have as many letters for names. That' why my herd name is "City Lights" and not "City Lights Pygmy Goats" or whatever...

There is a limit in ADGA and AGS, isn't there, gang?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, there is a limit of 25 letters and spaces. The longer the herd name the less space you'll have for the kids name.

5. See thats exactly why I need your help cause I don't know how all this works yet! I did know that the kids would carry previous name. How on the papers does it exactly go? Is the first two letters of your herd name and then what you name the kid? Any advise would be helpfull!
    Thanks

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My herd name is "Dollys Acre" and my first registered kid born this past March was Bonnie Blue

Her registered name with AGS as well as NDGA is Dollys Acre Bonnie Blue

Her tattoos are DAH and Z1

Your herd name is in front of the name you give the kids: example: Momma B's Minis Sally

7. How did you get the H in DAH?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The registries assign your tattoo letter sequence, in my case they took the first letter of my last name to add the "3rd" letter to the tattoo.

Most herd tattoos have 3 letters....with my herd name being just 2 words they added the 3rd letter.

9. Thanks Liz! it's a little more clear now. :wave:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No problem! :greengrin:

11. HMMMM, what do ya think of Lil Liza's Acres. She will be my fisrt regitered. It's all going to start with her! That still leaves 9 sapces for a name?

12. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

You get 30 spaces for AGS ( I think ADGA is the same?)

We didnt really take that into account when we did ours- so all of our kids are Proctor Hill Farm Name.....
    If I would do it over I would take out the farm and just have Proctor Hill Name

Also we usually put the sires initials in the name too - so that leaves us even less spaces for the kids actual name! :slapfloor:

13. 30 is even better! Thankyou for the suggestion! I really like it! And it's short!

14. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Haha your welcome! I think its really cute too! :greengrin:

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I like that one a lot too!

16. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    If the doe was bred before you bought her (ie the sales date is after she was bred) then the kids won't take your herdname and you won't technically need one yet. However the kids will have your tattoo so you will need that, but that is given when you join the registries. Just pick a tattoo and/or herdname that is the exact same in each registry you join.

Congrats to the world of Nigerians!

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I was boring. I just have Salvagno's for a herd name. Like some others here, I wanted to leave plenty of letters for the name of the goat. Then we went with SFI for the tattoo since our farm is Salvagno Farm, Inc. I was lucky to get the same tattoo for both AGS and ADGA.

18. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I chose my own tattoo letters, just use my 3 initials. Yes, keep that herd name as small as you can-my folks didn't realize how hard it was going to be to find short names after they registered their herd name years ago. I associated my herd name with my mini oberhaslis when I had them-of course now I dont have them-but my name still fits I think ;-).

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you ever want to get out of minis or add a differnet breed then having "mini" in yoru herd name complicates things. I would go with a more generic name as it provides to you more options.

You can call yoru farm ______farm or _____acres but it doesnt mean you have to have yoru full herd name include the farm or acres part.

My website is End of the line farm but my herd name is End of the line