help with introducing new kid!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Apr 26, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Well, we finally got Murphy our new little wether home yesterday.....we have patiently and anxiously waited for almost 3 months.....we purchased him from Caprakoza......he is so cute! We have him in a pen next to my other two wether boys (Jake and Elwood)........he cried so much yesterday after getting him home(unless I am in barn within his sight), big transition for him........Jenna gave him Nutri-drench before heading home and then I gave him some last night, Jenna also sent home some of his grain so we can adjust him slowly.....he is eating, peeing, drinking fine....poops are a little clumped which doesn't surprise me with all the changes. Taking fecals to vet tomorrow on all 3 boys, want to be sure....I just purchsed my own microscope but I don't trust myself yet! What is the best way to introduce him in with the bigger boys, he is much smaller then I expected.....but he is a rascal so I think he can hold his own.......he wants so bad to be in with them.....Had I really thought I would have bought 2 kids and not just one, but hindsight is 20x20 :doh: !

Last but not least....I just want to say how nice Jenna and her family are.....we met one sister and her dad and they were all so very friendly. We met them at a show in Indy and they were quite busy, but took the time with us and answered so many questions that we had.......I know nothing about showing, but all their goats were so nice and very much cared for and loved! As we had just arrived to the show Jenna's sister won I believe Grand Reserve Champion....their dad was pretty excited.
    Ok......sorry so long, Denise

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Murphy has a running eye this morning.....any ideas?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could be stress or a start of something more. I would just wipe his eye and watch to see if it continues. I have a doe who has allergies and her eyes run a lot.

As to introducing - can you bring all teh boys out (kind of like neutral territory) so they can sniff him and get use to him without feeling threatened by him being in their pen?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey..... :wink: :greengrin:

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    How many days before I can introduce him to the boys? I am probably just going to just him into the vet tomorrow and have fecals done on all three.....if they come back clean, can we start introducing? Jake and Elwood are about 50lbs ....Murphy is probaby 15lbs.....can they be together?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I never sparate new goats when I know where they came from. Technically if you want to do a separation due to disease and sickness it needs to be for 30 days.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Stacey.....I know that he came from a very good farm and all their goats are well taken care of......now should I be concerned about the size difference?

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I wouldn't be concerned. :)

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I know that you let your boys out to browse on occassion, let them out together as Stacey said...in neutral territory, sit with them and hold Murphy on your lap, Jake and Ellwood will be curious and as long as you hold the little guy he'll be safe. Let them interact outside the pen, then let Murphy in to check things out...with out the 2 bigger boys, have a safe place that he can run to just in case they decide to get rough, mine have a bench that the smaller ones can go under if somebody decides to be nasty. I wouldn't keep him separate for long, they will need to learn to live with each other and the longer they are separated the harder it will be.
    The runny eye is likely an allergy, it will run it's course, just watch for sign of pus and cloudiness.

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Liz.....I think we will let the boys all out together this evening, when the dang wind calms :hair: !!!!!

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....well we let them out together and things went pretty well until Murphy the new little one got frisky, jumped off my lap and started running and jumping and one of my bigger boys butted him pretty good.....it scared the little guy....he got right back in my lap.....I hope they will adjust to one another, the whole reason for getting a 3rd goat was so if anything ever happened to one there would be 2 left and not one all alone.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    His jumping startled the others....he'll be fine and yes they will butt him but he will learn to stand for himself and not get pushed around, they will bond quite nicely, it just won't happen fast. Good thing he knows that your lap is a safe place and that mama will protect him from his big brothers :love:

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Liz for the support......I was feeling pretty down last night......I don't know what I was thinking, I just thought I would bring him home and the boys would be happy to see a new goat....WRONG! I just have to be patient, I just feel bad for the little guy, he wants to be with the big guys, but I have to be out there to monitor and I can't be 24/7.
    Thanks so much, Denise

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes the best thing to do is just let them go at it and dont interfear. Never let him in a dangerous situation of course. They are just letting him know that he is the intruder and they are the boss.

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey......the big guys are 53lbs and he is 15lbs at best, can they butt him to death? that is my main concern.....if he were bigger I would just put him with them and let them work it out.

16. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    They CAN, but likely wont. A friend brought her new ND doeling,about 12-15lbs, over to show us and Luna, about 115lbs, gave her a shove or two just to show that she is Queen. just keep an eye on em when you are around you should know how bad it will get in about an hour or two of them interacting w/o you standing right next to em. Just be ready to interveen if nec.

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The only way they can really do him harm is if they cornered him and kept bashing him. He seems lively and quick enough to get out of the way if that would happen. Do you have a box he can run into or even on top of to get away?

I know how dissapointed you are, it's like your feelings are hurt because you thot your boys would be happy to see a little brother...I completely understand :hug:

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just remember the old saying "2 is company 3 is a crowd" goats start the pecking order once there is more then two. Its natural and the goats learn their place in line and how to interact and to stay out of the head goats way.

Can you put just one of them in with Murphy at first and then let them buddy up and then put them both in with the other?

somtimes one on one is better then 2 on 1

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you all for all the help and ideas.......we are already looking for another young doe or wether around Murphy's age!

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goat bug has bitten.....you just want another goat I know it :wink: :shades: