help with introducing new kid!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Apr 26, 2009.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    and then... the pecking order starts... all over again...LOL :wink: :doh: :help: :D

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Just do it my way and start with little goats then add a BIG goat, then the order is easy :greengrin:

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Well, we took all the boys out into the pasture this evening and they did great.....when we called them back into the barn Murphy (little one) ran into the big boys pen instead of his and Elwood rammed him, Murphy didn't act like it phased him, he just wanted his treat! I find it interesting that Jake my head boy is doing much better with him than Elwood, as Elwood has always been my laid back guy and more on the shy side.......I do see things getting better though :clap: !
    thanks all!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am actually not surprised Elwood is being the agressor. He is letting Murphy know that he plans on NOT loosing his place in line. For him he has to let those under him know he is boss of them. Jake isnt threatened more then likely because Elwood still submits to him and Murphy has shown no plans to take his place.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey.....You are sooooo goat smart! That makes perfect sense!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    :oops: awe thanks -- it comes with raising them for many years. Still learning though

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think all goats are just like Stacey said, when they know they have a "herd queen/master" the lower one definately does not want to be at the bottom of the totem pole, so they have to assert thermselves to retain their status. :wink:

8. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Haven't been on TGS in a awhile, been busy!! :horse: , my goats have a " pecking order" . if the herd queen gets " challenged" she'll put the newbie in line, and sometimes a goat will decide it wants to be a higher ranking goat and there will be a squabble for a while. just my experience. have fun with murphy!!!!

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey Jenna....I figured you were busy and tired from your trip...we have been taking the boys out every evening all together and the big guys are getting more and more use to him.....I still have him in his own pen at night per advice from vet. He was under the weather a little today, called the vet and he is aware and we will see how he is in the morning......vet thinks it could be reaction to his CDT and stress of the traveling and new surroundings.....his little armpit is swollen......we are keeping close eye on him!
    take care, Denise