help with lessening stress in new goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Mar 31, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We are so excited to be getting a new little wether at the end of April......when I brought my first boys home back in Sept. we were so ignorant and really knew nothing......my boys ended up with having to be treated for worms and cocci, which I can't help but think they were overloaded with these parasites from the stress of moving.......So, what can I do to make our little guy's move go smoothly? He will coming from Tennessee to Northern Indiana.......quite a distance.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I give all my goats Nutri Drench before they leave my house and head to their new one and some to give them that night and the next morning if they need it. I also give them some Rescue Remedy to help them also.
    Congratulations on the new little ones you are getting.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think Rescue Remedy is the best thing to give a goat (human or other pet too!) during stressful times such as moving, kidding, sickness, etc. It really does help - I notice them calming down within minutes. It is not a drug and will not do anything physical to them nor conflict with any other treatments, just calms them emotionally. I also like to give Nutri-Drench and probiotics.

http://www.rescueremedy.com/

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Lori.....where do you get your rescue remedy......Is it the same stuff they show for dogs? I saw it on their own website.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    My mom is a registered Bach Flower practitioner, so I get it from her, at a discount! :greengrin: But you should be able to find it at any health food store.

The one for dogs is the same one you can use for goats or any other pet for that matter. It has a glycerin-base, instead of alcohol, so it tastes sweet and some of my goats just slurp it right up. It is very cost-effective as all you need is 4 drops, one bottle lasts quite a long time! :)

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    What about a B-complex shot?