Help with mastitis!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MilkandMeatgoats, Jan 24, 2017.

1. MilkandMeatgoats

MilkandMeatgoats Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Virginia
    I have a nubian doe who is almost 4 years old now. We purchased her two years ago and was told that she had kidded twins once and was perfectly healthy. Last April she kidded a single and I battled mastitis from the day after the kid was born on one side of her udder until June when it finally spread to the other side. At that point I treated her on both sides and dried her up. She dried up quickly, udder became soft again. She kidded again not quite two weeks ago, another single, and once again the udder is hard on one side...the same side. I put her on the stand today and stripped her down as much as possible, massaged her with peppermint oil and tried a tip I read online. I feed her back a portion of the milk. I read that they would begin to create antibodies to the infection. I do not know if it will work but I can't take another season of constant infections and milk down the drain. So much hard work with no reward.

Does anyone have any advice on treating mastitis? Today/Tomorrow have not worked for us. I plan to start trying to feed her garlic tomorrow. That may be the one thing I've read that I haven't already tried.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Take and get a culture done of it.
    There are many different strains of mastitis and may need a different treatment type.

4. MilkandMeatgoats

MilkandMeatgoats Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Virginia
    Funny thing is, I sent her milk off for a culture last year when we were dealing with it early on, and it came back negative for mastitis or any type of bacteria for that matter. She did okay for a week or two after that and then we were back to the same thing. Hard, warm (never hot) udder. I thought then that I could have just been dealing with a very congested udder since the test came back negative but within a few weeks she was actually running a fever and I couldn't get a drop of milk out of her bad side. Had the vet come out (again) and was told to treat her again with the today treatment. We don't have a lot of experienced vets in this area when it comes to goats.

I milked her out this afternoon and got maybe a half a cup of milk. The udder is not nearly as hard as last year at this point so I am massaging, working in peppermint oil and using hot compresses. She's my girl and she's great on the stand but hubby says she's gotta go this year if I can't resolve this. Tried to get her to eat garlic today but her and the other girls turned their noses up at it, skins and all. I usually drench her with an herbal dewormer so I may try to make a garlic paste and use the drench. I guess I may need to stop by the vets office and pick us some sampling tubes to take in some samples for testing again. Neither of the vets we have worked with in the past mentioned any other treatment (other than today or tomorrow) for mastitis. It is just so frustrating not knowing what I can do to help her.

Thanks so much for the help and if you think of anything else please let me know!

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ask them about the spectramast.

6. MilkandMeatgoats

MilkandMeatgoats Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Virginia
    I'll do that. I really want to get this girl completely healed up!

Anyone have any experience with mastoblast?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Pm goathiker...I believe she knows what vaccine to give to prevent it from happening when she freshens....

9. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Having a single do you milk her everyday? If she were mine and had a single I would milk her every day, twice a day. She will have plenty of milk for one kid and you can keep an eye on her udder. I usually don't dam raise but if I do decide to leave one on mom I always milk her everyday until the kids get bigger and take most of the milk. This is just what works for me, I'm sure there is better more experienced help for you on this forum.

10. MilkandMeatgoats

MilkandMeatgoats Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Virginia
    Yes, I started milking her "bad side" out on day two, less than 24 hours after the birth. As much as I could get out by hand anyway. I have always hand milked, no fancy equipment here as it probably would be very cost or time effective with two or three milkers. I did invest in the udderly ez milker because I read in a few places that it would be more effective in stripping her congested udder. I hand milk until I can get anymore milk and then use that. So far it has only helped some. Her udder is still much softer as compared to last year but the CMT test is clumping up positively and I can distinctively feel one "lump" about the size of a golf ball or maybe a little smaller. I feel like some of her congestion on that side is coming from her being too stubborn to let her milk down. Any suggestions on coaxing her into letting it down would certainly be appreciated. She likes to hold onto that stuff. Her other side seems to be doing just fine at this point so I am taking extra precaution to disinfect and clean everything super well. The kid is pretty much handling the other side anyway. Unfortunately she, just like last years kid, chose the good side as her favorite immediately.

11. MilkandMeatgoats

MilkandMeatgoats Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Virginia
    I did start the garlic cloves yesterday and they basically turn their noses up while I'm around, so I just leave a handful of cloves in each feeder. Oddly enough 7 or eight cloves have disappeared by the time I return in the afternoon so someone is eating them! I'm just not sure that my girl with the udder problem is the one getting it since she's in with two other girls. Crossing my fingers that something begins to take effect and hoping that the milk I am getting from my other doe doesn't start tasting like garlic! :worried:

12. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    I have NO idea if this is practical, but for human moms who are trying to pump their milk & having trouble with let-down & getting enough milk we suggest having the baby nurse on the other side to stimulate the let-down reflex. Since baby goats don't seem to nurse nearly as often as human babies, I don't know if it would even be possible, but thought I'd mention it. For moms with repeated episodes of mastitis we recommend supplementation with iron, vitamin C & lecithin, but again I have no idea how that would translate to goats. Good luck to you & your poor goat. Maybe try "flushing" her a month before & after next breeding to get more kids, as she seems to overproduce & that may be a factor.

13. Beehalsey

Beehalsey New Member

Feb 10, 2017
    I'm new to this raising goats. I know someone with a goat with mastitis.
    She had it last year and this year. Is it curable and it is the whole udder.

14. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Yes, it's curable-it's a bacterial infection. There are different ways to treat it, but it must be treated. It's also important to keep milking. It can be on one side or both sides.