The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I sent my dad after goat food today. He KNOWS what I buy! Instead of getting the feed that I've fed my goats (Boers and a ND) for years, he gets a bunch of random bags of food! Now I have none of their regular feed to use to switch them into this new feed. I also have a nice show goat that I have been giving a special high quality feed to with supplements. Now I am forced to give her "Dr. Pol's alfalfa recipe"! Does anyone use these feeds? Help!
Black Working animal Terrestrial animal Livestock Snout
Vertebrate Fawn Font Poster Working animal

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I couldn't take it back because it had already been opened. I had to give it to them yesterday and there was no problems, so I think it's gonna be ok. We are being quarantined for Covid so looks like I'm feeding them this for 2 weeks.
My dad likes the goats, after all he is the one that bought my first does and buck. But he sees these professional breeders around and how awesome their goats look, then he talks about how puny mine is in comparison. Well for one thing my goats don't have the best genetics. Secondly I'm also in the process of culling a few of the skinny does that won't gain weight. Ugh I guess I'm just irritated with him saying that my goats look boney and potbelly compared to a COMERCIAL BREEDER down the road! I have 7 goats! Not 200!
Sorry just had to rant for a second. :embarrassed:

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,273 Posts
I don't see a reason it would hurt them to feed it just for now. I once ended up with a bag of 12% all stock and fed it until I could get more of the stuff I actually wanted to feed.

I know how it can be to have parents do stuff like that, so don't worry about ranting. It's good to get that kind of stuff of your chest once in a while.

·
Fair-Haven
4,819 Posts
If your goats are undersized and unthrifty I strongly recommend getting a fecal done for worms and cocci. Both can stunt growth. Even with poor genetics, they should look shiney, filled out and not stunted. I feel something else may be going on. Make sure you have great minerals, hay plus browse.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your goats are undersized and unthrifty I strongly recommend getting a fecal done for worms and cocci. Both can stunt growth. Even with poor genetics, they should look shiney, filled out and not stunted. I feel something else may be going on. Make sure you have great minerals, hay plus browse.
Thanks for your concern! I have done fecals and they are clean. They have a good free choice minerals and are on pasture and hay, with grain once a day. I have two that just never have filled out while the others have filled out nicely. They are copper bolused and up to date on shots. I think they look pretty good myself. I have one special girl due for November 23. Looking forward to that!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey my 5 mo old buckling is now having scours from the food change. It’s not really nasty scours just like a little muddy consistency. Should I give him some probiotics? Maybe some electrolytes? What else? He acts fine otherwise.

·
Administrator
84,547 Posts
If the goat has loose stool, I would skip giving it until the goat is back to normal, then really slowly introduce it.
The bad thing is, sweet feed has molasses in it causing scours.
Some goats are more sensitive to it.

Probiotics and a fortified vit B complex shot for 3 days.
If the stool gets more watery and you know for sure the goat does not have worms or cocci, you can give pig scour halt.
Double the dosage it states on the bottle and then go by instructions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts