Help with our bottle baby!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by heathersboers, Sep 6, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Hi- i acquired a 2 weeks old doeling from a nearby breeder that wasn't getting enough milk from her dam because of a fish tail teat. we put her on a bottle, and she does fine during the day,running around chasing us,eating fine-very healthy. the next morning-she has crashed!! She gets wobbly,quits drinking,I feed her about 2:00 am and then at 6 am and then she gets fine again and back to normal that day-the next night she crashes again-we have had experience with bottle babies before and this is stumping me!! Does anyone have any suggestions??? It has happened every night since we brought her home.thanks

2. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Sounds like her blood sugar is dropping in the night. Bottle babies can usually make it through the night without eating, but if she had been with her mom until recently maybe her system was use to nursing some through the night and now she will take a bit to adjust. I had a bottle baby that had that happen, but only once. He literally couldn't stand and wouldn't take a bottle, so I mixed up a little sugar water and syringed it in him and he perked up and took a bottle. Good luck, Denise

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks!! I guess I will have to stay up with her and keep getting up to feed her-I hate to loose this one-especially with how sweet she is and her bloodline.Will she quit doing this, or do I need to get up several times and keep her sugar up? She is only nibbling at feed and hay right now.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    You will probably have to do that for a while.Give it as often as necessary and slowly give it less and less. Her body then would have time to get used to everything.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how often are you feeding her through the day? that could be effecting her as well.

If you arent feeding her often through the day she isnt getting enough to keep her body growing and has to "crash" in order to conserve energy and keep her body alive.

6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We are feeding her about every hour to hour 1/2- she drinks about an oz per feeding and is ready for it again very soon!!! The most she has drunk in a feeding is 2 1/2 oz. She will drink a little for about 10 seconds-stop-drink again 10 sec. stop and then an hour later wants more. the other bottle babies we have raised weren't nursed from their dam for 2 weeks-i think this is the reason she is doing this-they drunk 8 oz at the time spaced out. I just don't want to lose her during the night.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok

So total for the day is she getting the same amount in ounces as your regular bottle babies?

8. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    She will need to be transitioned into taking more milk less often or you'll go crazy. Like you said, she was dam raised for 2 weeks and as you know that is exactly how a kid feeds, 15 -20 sec and done! I would feed her all she will take and then not feed her again for 3 hours and feed her all she will take again. I'd do that for a day and then extend the interval to 4 hours for a day or two and then try to just feed her during the day with the last feeding being right before you go to bed. She will be able to adjust to being fed like a bottle baby within a week I bet. The sugar water is only a temp. perk up so she can take a bottle. It perks them up but doesn't last long. You won't lose her I'm sure because you are on top of things. Best of luck, Denise

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks for the info!!! Just wanted to give an update!! she is now eating every 3 hours and drinking about 5 oz at the time- Doing great, and thinks she's a dog!! She follows us around on our rounds checking on everyone in the mornings.

10. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    That's great, glad to hear it. She should be able to make it through the night pretty soon. Good job!