help with our doe "Choppers"

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Dec 2, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I was pretty sure that our doe goat was in heat on Nov 9th. There was a mucous substance with her urine.

We took her to the Buck on 11-23-08 and she has been with him since.

No action. The breeder offered to keep her two more weeks. I plan on doing that, but what other options? This doe has never been bred, so may she be not so regular in her cycles? Will they eventually have interest in one another or could something else be going on? It's been 24 days since the urine/mucous.

Just be patient? Input appreciated. Thanks

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What breed is she?

Is she nice and trim - or a bit over weight?

Where are you located?

How old is the buck?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she could have been going out of heat hence the buck wasnt interested --or he was sneeky and did the deed at night (not uncommon).

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It is very possible she got bred when no one was looking. We have a doe that we've never seen get bred but has had twins twice and is preggo again. :) So, that's a possibility.

5. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I didn't realize it could occur overnight and then done. I thought that the doe and buck would be busy for a day or two.

Allison, to answer your question; I don't think that she's overweight. She is a Boer 75% and 25% Alpine. She never has been bred before, and really never seen a buck before. She lives with a wether and younger doe.

We'll see what happens in the next few days.

Buck is healthy and used alot.

We are in Michigan. It's been quite cold, I'm not sure if that changes the heat cycle.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup can be done in a second and then 5 months later .... babies!