Help with Pasteurization

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by LunaLovegoat, Jul 14, 2020.

1. LunaLovegoat

LunaLovegoat New Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Maine
    Hi everyone!

I am currently pregnant and we now have three goats in milk and my doctor has said in no uncertain terms that I am not to drink raw milk (which I'm very sad about).

We get about three gallons a day and I'm trying to pasteurize one a day at least. I'm having no issue with getting milk to 165 degrees for 15 seconds on the stove but it is the rapid cool that takes me FOREVER. I put it in ice bath and I read I need to get it to 40 degrees within an hour, but I'm having to constantly stir for almost that whole time to do that - and my day is not full of time as it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the process a bit more smooth and go faster? I had a crazy idea of using an ice cream maker today.

Also, does pasteurizing take care of anything that could make humans sick or cause issue? I haven't found much on goat pasteurizing. They had a full bioscreen test this winter and came back safe.

Thanks!

2. miller4528

miller4528 New Member

May 15, 2020
    pa
    Im no expert or doctor but why cant you drink raw milk? Im pretty sure for the better part of our history we didnt i mean what did they drink before? Again no doctor but i cant see why it would be a problem. I havent even looked into pasteurizing mine we used to drink cow milk right from the tank when we milked too warm milk cured headaces better then pills. If rapid cooling is needed do you have a chest freezer maybe putting it in there would work, or freeze a bottle of water in like a stainless steel water bottle and then put that right in like a ice cube to help cool it from within.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    There can be problems for folks (unless you test your milk) getting diseases from raw milk. You may want to consider purchasing a counter top pastuerizer - look around on FB groups and farm pages, sometimes people are selling used models for less, but it might be worth it to you to consider this option given your situation.

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Put your pasteurized milk in smaller containers (1 qt mason jars) they will cool much faster in the ice bath. Put lids on and submerge in the ice water. Shake them every so often. They will chill down pretty rapidly.

goatblessings likes this.
  5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Try adding ice cream salt to the water too. The ic salt is just bigger chunks that dissolve slower.