The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP,
I have two older goats (8months) and two youngs kids (3 months) The two older goats buck and bully the little ones. I put some smaller shelters in the pen and the older ones go and chase the little goats out and hit them with their horns. Im afraid that im goona loose the little ones. What sould i do? I was thinking about moving the little ones out and subdive the pen to put the little ones for now.

Is this normal that the bigger ones wont let the little ones in the shelters?

Thoughts.

·
730 Posts
YES!! This is VERY NORMAL >> Crazy goat behavior! As long as theres room for the smaller ones to get out of the way they should be ok..but...if your just not comfortable, or one of the elders is just overly aggressive maybe you should separate them and re-introduce when the little ones get more size to them. Be prepared if you do separate them, when you re-introduce them together again youll probably see similar behavior happen again. They have to establish a "pecking order" and figure out whos gonna be "THE BOSS", and then whos next in rank, and so on! ALL goats are this way, and you can NOT change this behavior....don't waste your time trying...lol..
Best of luck!

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I have a mixed pen, some "teenagers" and some of this years kids. So far, they all get along, and I don't have issues. However, I have 3 shelters in this area, and a little pasture (1 acre) for them. I have my female alpaca in there, believe it or not, she helps "keep the peace" in addition to being the "protector of the babies".

Try to give them another shelter, even a dog house will do. Then you don't have to worry about the babies being kept out. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts