Help with rescued Alpine doe, please!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Granolamom, May 3, 2010.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    While looking at some pullets a man had for sale at his "farm", we could not help but notice a large Alpine doe who was scooting around on her knees, because her hooves were horribly overgrown (6-7 inches!!!). Seeing this poor animal broke my heart, and after a gave the man a piece of my mind, I offered to buy her, which I then did (he also had a calf that had been dead for several days in the shelter the goats use to sleep in...). We loaded her into the back of hubby's SUV, and off we went.
    I have 5 goats of my own (a small Alpine/Pygmy doe with her 2 kids, and 2 Boer girls who are about 6 months old), and we do all their hoof care, but with this Alpine doe, I ended up calling a farrier. He trimmed her hooves, and now she can walk again (cautiously and somewhat stiff, of course, but walking).
    She also has an uneven udder, and the right teat tends to get clogged, which is possibly due to mastitis, but I have been milking her out 3-4 times a day, feeding her back a bit of her milk (to stimulate her immune system), massaging her udder with peppermint oil, and it looks like the blockage is dissappearing. The udder is no longer hot, the tip no longer purple, and she has no temperature.
    I have wormed her and will do so again 10 days later, and I have her on the same food my other ones are on, which is Orchard/Alfalfa hay, free choice minerals, free choice baking soda, a cup of BOSS per goat per day, and Purina goat chow, which is the only feed our TSC never runs out of.
    Her stool was clumpy and slimy the first 2 days, then got nomal, but now is soft again. What could be the culprit? The wormer? The BOSS? Letting her drink a small amount of her own milk? Should I wait for it to rectify itself? What else can I do for her right now?

2. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I wish I had anything that could help; All I have to offer is my gratitude for being such a responsible goat keeper! Thank you for helping this doe; I know she can't say it herself. :)

Personally I think a little mushy poo after all she's been through is probably no big deal... My doe got really mushy poo right after I brought her home. It kept up for almost a week and then rectified itself.

It might just be stress related. That's what I'd put my $ on.

After all that - I'd say a tiny digestive upset is a world better than it had been! Sounds to me like you're doing a wonderful job. Have you tried giving her a wee bit of pepto?

3. Granolamom

Granolamom New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Nope, no pepto yet, because I don't want to stop her up if she needs to flush something out. If it does not get any better in the next few days, I might try it, though. Thanks for the kudos! During the past few days I have wondered if I bit off a bit more than I can chew, knowing nothing about keeping dairy goats, but then I think about what would have happened to her if I had not taken her, and I'm glad I did.

4. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Way to go, Granolamom!!!
    :hi5:
    I'm a newbie myself, so I really don't have any health advice; but I just wanted to add my kudos in with ZipperDoo's.
    -Tina

5. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Oh hon; I've done dog and reptile rescue for SO LONG... I am no stranger to the "what did I get myself into??"'s.... In the long run though, if it is too much, just know that it's only temporary. Once she's happy and healthy again, it is fully in your power to find where she will be happy for the rest of her life.

You're lucky that this doe sounds like she'll make a full recovery, and wouldn't have if you didn't come along. You have officially made a difference. :)

6. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Good for you! Stories like that break my heart...and make me not ever want to sell a goat.

The only thing I have to add regarding her stool is that I recently had a doe who had really soft, sloppy stool after adding BOSS to her grain - maybe 1/2 c a day in total. I backed way off on it (she now gets a small palm full every morning) and they went back to nice normal pellets.

All told though, I'm sure she is adjusting to her new feed/routine and that might make her wonky. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

That's an awful lot of change for a goat, and even though it is all good...goats don't like change :D

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I woudl have her stool checked for worms and coccidia and then go from there,

Lots of changes in her diet are probably partly to blame. I would cut back on the BOSS and then slowly reintroduce and see if that helps.

I have never given my adult goats milk so I cant say if thats part of the problem either.

8. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I'd like to add my kudos. I am of the thought that these are animals and are also food. But just because they are not human and we may eat them does not mean they should suffer in life. Some (suffering) in life can't be helped but I won't add to it.
    You did a really good thing my dear.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I commend you for wanting to help the poor girl!
    I would have to say that the soft poop is more likely from all the right things she's been given to eat....most people who own a goat think they can survive and thrive on pasture alone...some can but it depends on their management.
    Give her a few days, all that she's had will take time for her to adjust to...giving her some probiotics would help her out too.

10. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    KUDOS!!!!! it is wonderful that you are helping that poor girl out!
    i'm no vet but whenever we get a new animal it seems that they always nedd a while to adjust. i would say if she isnt used to getting adequate feed then her body is probably trying to fix itself. like when you unplug the computer before actually turning it off, you have to wait for it to run a bunch of scans before its back to normal and can be used.
    hope she gets better!

11. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Good for you! And her. :) My vet has told me more than once, "An animal knows a sucker when they see one" Hopefully you have a "sucker'' for a vet like I do. Mine gives me great discounts when he knows it's a rescue. I have pointed out his "sucker theory" has bit him in the butt more than once. :laugh:

Gina "sucker" for life

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Scours is never good... to just let run....it isn't a clean out thing....it must be treated right away ...before she gets dehydrated... I agree with Stacey.... get a fecal to make sure.... seeings how.. she was so neglected at her other so called home...she most likely wasn't wormed.....and probably kept in poor conditions.... :(

I highly commend you on helping her....you are very special... :hug: :thumb:

13. I think it is great you are helping. I also agree with Stacey. Have a fecal done to be safe. It could just be the change in diet. If it is real loose I would use the Pepto and def cut back on the BOSS. That is too much. a few sprinkles a day is all you need of that. This can be done with a pinch of your finders and sprinkle. Great job and keep us posted.

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That was so wonderful of you to take this goat in. She will have a much better life now. I agree with everyone else about getting the fecal done. One type of dewormer doesn't take care of all worms. If you know what parasites you are dealing with, then you can worm appropriately.

15. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. Give her a little time to adjust to the much healthier diet you are giving her and giving her some pepto might not hurt either. Some people have no idea how to care for goats-it's sad how many think they can survive on so.

16. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    oops forgot the last word "Little".