The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
I've got a mixed herd of registered Mini Nubians and unregistered Mini Nubian/Alpine/Kiko mixes.
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Jake has a nasty case of scours, and I’m looking for advice. First thing I did was give him a dose of Molly’s herbal dewormer, in case it was worms. I just ran out of the wormwood one, so I gave him the garlic one. I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that oak leaves can help with diarrhea so yesterday and this morning I gave him some of those and he absolutely devoured them.

This morning I gave him some probiotics too.

I’ve never seen poop like this from my goats - every now and then I see it a little clumpy or very rarely almost cow-pie-looking (and until now, a dose of Molly’s dewormer was all I gave for it) and Pumpkin got pretty runny poop after her first day on the pasture, which resolved on its own in like two days... This stuff though? This is straight up brown waterfall, and it’s been several days now and not gotten any better. Poor little guy! I feel so bad for him.

He’s in the goat yard with his brother, so I don’t think it’s anything to do with pasture or browse. It’s pretty sparse in there, so the vast majority of his diet right now is just grass hay and some good alfalfa. I did try giving all the goats some lawn clippings just a day or two before he started having trouble - could that have caused this? I didn’t give them very much, and none of the other goats have scours... so idk what to think.

After giving him the probiotic and oak leaves this morning I went to TSC to see what they had. They didn’t have anything marketed for goats (of course) so I got this:

Food Ingredient Cup Drink Gas

Does anyone know if this is okay for goats, and if so how much I should give him? It’s labeled for calves and foals.

This is the other stuff they had for cows:

Liquid Fluid Shelving Shelf Bottle

I’ve never used any of this stuff before so I wasn’t really sure what to go with. I hope I got something good.

I also bought my first drenching gun, and I’m gonna give him some yogurt and some dark beer in a few minutes. I’m super excited - I’ve been using a modified syringe that barely works for the past... idk, several months. Lol. So this is a huge upgrade for me!

Anyway, if anyone has any advice I could sure use some. For now I’m gonna do the yogurt and beer and see how he does. I’ve cut back on his alfalfa since he’s been unwell, so he’s basically just getting grass hay. He’s eating and drinking well, and eating up lots of his minerals (makes sense), and so far he doesn’t seem too bothered by his condition, but I want to say it’s been four or five days now, so I’m starting to worry.

Oh, he’s three months old, plus a little. Up until now he’s been very healthy - no problems at all. Good body condition, bouncy and energetic and happy.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
I've got a mixed herd of registered Mini Nubians and unregistered Mini Nubian/Alpine/Kiko mixes.
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven’t. That’s a good thought. But I was under the impression cocci caused a much more mucousy poop?

Here’s the ingredients for the thing I bought.
Drinkware Liquid Fluid Food Drink

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you guys go about collecting a sample when the poop is fully liquid? Any tips? My first thought is follow him around with a jar and some gloves... 🤢😆

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I agree I would get a fecal test done and try SpectoGard on him, it has worked great every time we have used it. Dosage is 6 ml per day for 3 days. You can split the 6 ml into 3 ml twice a day. Since spectogard is an antibiotic, don't give probiotics at the same time. Space them out a few hours from each other.

We've never used that anti-diarrhea bolus so I'm not sure how to dose it. It doesn't look like anything in it would hurt him though but I could be wrong. If you give some I would break open the bolus and mix the contents with water, then drench him with it. Unless the bolus is really small then you might be able to get him to swallow it.

I know that mariarose who isn't on here anymore said she used the calf scour boluses on goats with good success. We've never used them though.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
How do you guys go about collecting a sample when the poop is fully liquid? Any tips? My first thought is follow him around with a jar and some gloves... 🤢😆
Use a plastic spoon to scoop some up?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’mma wait ‘til morning so it’s nice and fresh when I take it in. 😆

He still seems to be feeling fine, thankfully. Took him some more leaves earlier and he came running. I’ve given him yogurt and beer twice today - will probably do that once more this evening also.

I gave him some ginger too, as I had some on hand and it’s supposed to be good for digestive stuff.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
3,136 Posts
I have used those boluses. They are huge. I break them up and use a pill popper OR mix with a bit of water and drench it.

Has he had any cocci prevention recently? I would do the fecal, the Spectogaurd can't hurt if it's ecoli or something. Activated Charcoal and Slippery Elm will help bind up toxins and soothe the gut.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He's doing much better this morning! Yesterday evening I took half of one of the boluses and mixed it with the yogurt/beer drench I'd already prepared, and gave him that. This morning he was super perky and peppy, and I didn't see a single water poop puddle in his stall when I let him out - just some slightly clumpy poops. Gonna keep an eye on him today, and I'll give him more yogurt and another bolus for now and keep the Spectoguard in mind in case he gets worse.

Molly's dewormer mix is supposed to be good for preventing cocci problems - I started this year's kids on it at three-ish weeks and they never got the mucous poops like we've had before, so I think it worked? I might still do the fecal on him just to try to figure out what he had going on, but as long as he's still looking good next check, I'll probably just send the sample to that Meadowmist place instead of driving 30 miles to the vet for immediate answers. Gas is so freaking expensive right now!

@Jubillee - Activated charcoal and slippery elm seem like good things to keep on hand. I've seen them mentioned a few times now, but never bought them before. Where can I find them? Is the brand important?

Thanks so much, everyone. You guys are always so helpful when I bump into something new and need info. I'm so, so glad I found this site. 🥰 You all are absolutely the best!!!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,744 Posts
Activated charcoal and slippery elm seem like good things to keep on hand. I've seen them mentioned a few times now, but never bought them before. Where can I find them? Is the brand important?
Activated charcoal gel is the most convenient to use in my opinion. It's often labeled Universal Animal Antidote (UAA) gel. I get mine at the feed store, but I think Jeffers carries it too. It terrific for any time you suspect poisoning. If you are going to get it, be sure to get the big tube as the little one doesn't really have enough doses in it to really treat something if you really needed it.

I hope he firms up real quick for you!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I don’t think we have scours anymore! Between the boluses (crushed up and drenched), the yogurt, the beer, the dewormer herbs, the ginger, the oregano oil, and the oak... something must have done the trick. Or, I suppose it’s possible none of those things helped, and it just cleared up. 🤷‍♀️

But I can’t find any poop puddles, and there’s nothing wet on his backside anymore. I still haven’t managed to catch him actively pooping to really be certain - I must’ve followed him around yesterday for at least half an hour in one go, and nothing! I suppose after all that diarrhea he might be a little emptier than usual. I keep watching him when I go out to feed and water and whatnot, but I have bad timing, apparently. Needless to say, I also still haven’t gotten my sample. 😪

But! He’s super alert and perky, great appetite, and just acting like a goat. I even grabbed you guys a nice photo of the patient this morning. Here he is nomming some leaves with his brother:

Plant Mammal Fence Grass Fawn

Jake is on the left. Look at that happy boy with that big ol’ mouthful of nice green leaves. 🥰

He’s a tad thin after all that pooping, so I started giving him just a little bit of the Dumor goat pellets to help him out.

I’ll update if anything else happens (like maybe if I actually catch him pooping this afternoon) but it looks like he’s recovering really nicely.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm, is it not showing for you? I can see it.

Maybe the site is doing something funny. I was just over on MadHouse’s kidding thread and some of her pictures that were showing for me before have disappeared. 🤨

1 - 20 of 33 Posts