Help with Sulmet, please...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Jul 31, 2008.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I have FINALLY received my sulmet from Jeffers today for little Caper (from earlier thread). Stacey gave me the dosages...thank you! BUT, I have the powder and am not sure how to dilute it to give a drench so that I have the right amount of Sulmet in each cc. The directions don't even mention goats. I want to start him ASAP, so if anyone can help, please let me know how to get this stuff into him. I will weigh him first. Thank you!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If the packet is 107 grams you mix it with 3 cups of water and dose the kid with 1cc per 5 pounds the first day then 1cc for each 10 pounds for 4 days.

3. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks, Liz! I have a 1 lb. package, actually, or 453.5g. It does say to add the package to 1 gallon of water for cattle, calves and swine. Does that sound about right for goats, too? Then use that solution as you indicated? Brooke

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That would be the equivalent to getting the gallon of premixed liquid I believe, better yet so you aren't wasting a premixed package that you won't need.....if you have a scale...30 grams is equal to 1 oz....so you have a 15 oz package....and to mix it with 128oz of water....so mix 1oz powder to 8 oz water. 1 oz is = 1tsp.

5. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Wow! Are you a math teacher? :wink: I was going to mix a quart and a quarter pound of the powder, but your suggestion seems much easier. Thanks again! Brooke

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope...Betty Crocker and a calculator helped me with this one! :ROFL: The cookbook has the metric conversion in it and the calculator did the division....I barely passed high school algebra :slapfloor:

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I use Sulmet from Ft Dodge- the 1 lb package.
    I make a 12% solution by putting 4Tbsps of the powder in 1 pint of water. I keep this solution in a jar in the fridge til I use it up.
    I give the same dosage as mentioned above.