Help with Sulmet, please...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Jul 31, 2008.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I have FINALLY received my sulmet from Jeffers today for little Caper (from earlier thread). Stacey gave me the dosages...thank you! BUT, I have the powder and am not sure how to dilute it to give a drench so that I have the right amount of Sulmet in each cc. The directions don't even mention goats. I want to start him ASAP, so if anyone can help, please let me know how to get this stuff into him. I will weigh him first. Thank you!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If the packet is 107 grams you mix it with 3 cups of water and dose the kid with 1cc per 5 pounds the first day then 1cc for each 10 pounds for 4 days.

3. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks, Liz! I have a 1 lb. package, actually, or 453.5g. It does say to add the package to 1 gallon of water for cattle, calves and swine. Does that sound about right for goats, too? Then use that solution as you indicated? Brooke

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That would be the equivalent to getting the gallon of premixed liquid I believe, better yet so you aren't wasting a premixed package that you won't need.....if you have a scale...30 grams is equal to 1 oz....so you have a 15 oz package....and to mix it with 128oz of water....so mix 1oz powder to 8 oz water. 1 oz is = 1tsp.

5. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Wow! Are you a math teacher? :wink: I was going to mix a quart and a quarter pound of the powder, but your suggestion seems much easier. Thanks again! Brooke

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope...Betty Crocker and a calculator helped me with this one! :ROFL: The cookbook has the metric conversion in it and the calculator did the division....I barely passed high school algebra :slapfloor:

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I use Sulmet from Ft Dodge- the 1 lb package.
    I make a 12% solution by putting 4Tbsps of the powder in 1 pint of water. I keep this solution in a jar in the fridge til I use it up.
    I give the same dosage as mentioned above.