The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Poor Jasmine is just miserable. We have been fighting this whateveritis all Winter and now it's getting worse.

She lost all the winter down on her back and then developed bald patches. Her nose is patchy too. The skin is scaly/flakey and itchy!

Her feed and minerals are on point. We tried zinc supplements for a couple months. No change.

She get's copper bolused every 4-6 weeks.

I treated her for mites. I treated the whole herd for mites. I treated all the bedding too. And I repeated it a week later.

We've been the pest treatment route 3 times in 4 months and she's not improving.

My gut says to shave her back and nose and get aggressive with the Nustock. Thoughts?

I kinda hate to shave because we won't be frost free here until mid May. But that thin hair covering she has can't be doing much to keep her warm.

Naturally, none of the other goats have any symptoms...

Here's the pics.

Sidenote: She is pregnant and due in about a month.
Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal Dog breed Snout

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
It doesn't quite look the same, but is there any possibility she's getting too much selenium? I live in a selenium-rich area and my goat Cuzco used to lose all the hair on his back if he got too much selenium (I got clued in after my horses lost their manes and tails). Once I got him off the selenium-rich forage his coat grew back.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are the bald spots on her back where she uses her horns to scratch? What did you use to treat the mites? The Nustock may help as well.
She doesn't have horns. For mites we did Ivermectin Pour-on. Then used permethrin dust in the bedding areas (after cleaning thoroughly). At one point I even used the dust on her, but the rest of her coat is so crazy wooly, that dusting her in winter is next to impossible because you can't work the dust down to her skin - except in the balding areas.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't quite look the same, but is there any possibility she's getting too much selenium? I live in a selenium-rich area and my goat Cuzco used to lose all the hair on his back if he got too much selenium (I got clued in after my horses lost their manes and tails). Once I got him off the selenium-rich forage his coat grew back.
I doubt it? We're selenium deficient here. She does get Replamin Plus once a week - 5 ccs. But all my girls have gotten that for years. She gets a BoSe shot once a year. This is the first year she's had a problem like this. Hmmmm. The Rep-plus has "Not less" than .39 mg selenium. She weighs maybe 45 pounds. Her grain is Blue Seal Premium. I can't find it online, so I'll have to check the tag. She's pregnant right now and gets 1 6oz yogurt scoop twice a day plus some alfalfa and grass hay.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried flax seed oil? Have you considered an allergy?
I hadn't thought of allergy. I can't even fathom what she'd be allergic to. Though that would explain why she's the only one having a problem. I have NOT tried flax oil. That's something I can definitely do. I'll pick some up tomorrow!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a similar problem, I am wondering if it isn't a hormone imbalance? (some dogs blow their coats when they are preg or just whelped).
I am waiting until they kid to see if their skin straightens out and the hair grows back in. I've tried everything, too. Even the vet is stumped.
It was there, but much milder, before she was bred. I can bet the hormones have made it worse...

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not experienced at all, but what if she's low on vitamins? Maybe some vitamin E and/or codliver oil would help.

Hope you can figure it out. I know how frustrating unidentifiable skin issues are.
Thanks, She always leaves her sunflower seeds in her dish. She hates them. So you may be on to something. I'm going to pick up some flaxseed oil for her!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I doubt it? We're selenium deficient here. She does get Replamin Plus once a week - 5 ccs. But all my girls have gotten that for years. She gets a BoSe shot once a year. This is the first year she's had a problem like this. Hmmmm. The Rep-plus has "Not less" than .39 mg selenium. She weighs maybe 45 pounds. Her grain is Blue Seal Premium. I can't find it online, so I'll have to check the tag. She's pregnant right now and gets 1 6oz yogurt scoop twice a day plus some alfalfa and grass hay.
Yeah, selenium toxicity is an unusual problem for goats. They really have to have a high intake. But if you try all other avenues and nothing seems to help, it wouldn't hurt to send in a blood sample and have them test for selenium levels just in case. It's interesting that she avoids sunflower seeds which are high in selenium. Maybe just coincidence but maybe not.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Jazzy has been getting one TBL wheat germ oil each morning. I'll drop it to one tsp after she's bee a full week at the higher dose. I also shaved her back and today was her third "dose" of Nustock. When I washed her back to day it looked much improved! Very little flaking and not nearly as irritated. Wooot!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts