Help with Weather

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kritterkeeper, Dec 28, 2007.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    HI everyone

we were talking abou FAT weathers and I told you about the one I was getting ready to try and help... I think he is pgymy but I am not 100% sure of that...So I am posting pictures to see what you guys think..

I have a few question too

we have 7 other goats NO HORNS

this big guy has horns and for aleast 2 years has woundered 10 acres with the dairy cows.. and ate what they ate, for the most part he has been very happy- but his belly is huge and I am sure his feet are in need of care... We put him in with the other goats but he is not liking that at all.... he broke a board on the gate and then got in with the girls.... He is now in a pen by himself for his safty and the other goats--- They but heads all the time with each other but he is bigger and has horns and hits harder..

I am trying to help my sister in law out by taken him in BUT I do not want to get my goats hurt or him or my fences and barns.. How long should I TRY to make this work...

and what would the best why to go about it be...

Thank you for any help!

[​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Is he fighting with the does also?

He sure is a handsome man!!

3. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I did not put the does in with him because I was afaird he would hurt them one is preg.

I could put the Boar doe in with him and see how he acts. She is a pretty big girl

Does he look pygmy or what?

Donna

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    To be honest I really am not the one that is very good at being able to tell breeds, but I would say pygmy. I have 2 very large pygmy wethers also.

Usually when new animals are introduced, they will tend to get a bit cranky, as they have to "redo" the alpha dominence in the herd, and what the new pecking order is going to be.

I would try it with the doe, but stay there and watch, so that if you need to pull her you can.

I have one little doe that always gets the poo kicked out of her, so I feed her seperately from the others. But they had to go through the beating eachother up everytime a new one came.

I started with 4 and it was 2 from 2 seperate houses. Then I added 1. Then I added 3. Then I added 2. So it was not to fun till they got used to each other.

5. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    We started last March with 2 1 day old babys two days apart... they slept in the dog crate togather for 2mo in the kitchen till the big pen was built

in June we got two pgymy boys 3 days apart they were a day old when we got them to-

then came their brother in Nov when he was 5 mo old but he was still little and they were still little so no real trouble there...

in March of this year we got Timmy and he was 12 days old but one of the does was now one took him and protected him.. then in Nov we got a 4 year old Nubian doe and they all butted heads for a day and that was it...

So this is a little different for us...I am going to go out and put Sweet Pea or Boar Doe in with him and see how that works...

Thank you
    Donna

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    no problem - just make sure you are right there and maybe just for a little bit then pull her, and keep doing that a few times a day for longer and longer each time, so that he finds out that no one is there to hurt him, and they just want to be his friend.

7. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    He may be part pygmy, part nigerian. Pygmy's can't be painted. And he looks a little taller. I'd work on his feet ASAP.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    He looks pygmy/nigerian to me, with something else mixed in.

He's handsome :D

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    You might consider putting something on the points of his horns to limit the damage he can do if he does try to use his horns.

Also he probably got used to acting more aggressive than normal as self-preservation living amoung large animals.

I hope he will adjust for you.

10. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    I'd agree that he looks like a Pygmy/Nigerian cross with those colors. He sure is beautiful! Keep a close watch and I hope it works out. The horns are a distinct advantage for him over your other goats...

11. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I am sorry to say but hubby let him go back to living with the cows because he was worried someone might get hurt.... and he was destoring fences and gates..

My brother in law may try something in the spring...

Donna B
    We tried

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He was scared, and not used to being with goats and in a smaller pen compared to what he was used to. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate(destroying the fence) just scared, and he definately has the color of a nigerian but the stockiness of a pygmy. Such a shame that he left, he certainly could have become adjusted to some TLC and a good hoof trimming.

13. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Yes he could of he is not a bad guy... We will try again in the spring when it is easier to stay out and watch and we will be making the pen a roll of wire bigger this spring...

Donna B