The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our young doelings is lethargic. Her temperature is normal. We let the goats out a few times a week to eat on the bermuda grass pasture, she seemed fine when we let her out but I can't be 100% certain. She still get's up and moves with the herd, but I noticed while she was out that she went under our truck and laid down. When we got her out she moved over to the herd and laid back down. I put everyone up, she followed and laid down in the hay pile once back in the pasture. They were out for maybe 10 minutes. When I fed everyone she came over to eat, but picked at it and went back to lay down. She's 3 months old now. Still nursing.

It's been raining for the past 24 hours so the first thing I did was check her temperature just in case of phenomena. Her temperature is normal. Her coat looks dull, but not majorly so. Her gums were still pink. Her belly was maybe a little bloated, but nothing that I would associate with actual bloat. Not swollen more on the left side.

All the other goats are perfectly fine. I was thinking maybe she could have hurt herself or something? She never did cry while she was out. I don't know, she has no obvious damage. I have not seen her poop, but she has no evidence of diarrhea.

Any ideas? Anything I can/should do preventative wise? I am watching her closely, obviously, waiting on any change. So far her only obvious sign is being slightly lethargic.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would get a fecal checked.....sounds like possible coccidia brewing. Is she having any diarrhea? I'm dealing with the exact same thing right now in my 4 month olds. Am treating with Corid(which isn't recommended on this site but it works for me and I had it on hand).

·
926 Posts
Try giving some nutridrench, b complex and some probiotics. That will give her a a little extra energy and get her appetite going.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
I agree with Still....have a fecal done to be sure that worms are not an issue, including Cocci which doesnt always present itself with runny poo....also silent peunomonia can strike ...one minute..no fever the next its through the roof..so keep taking it every 30 minutes see what happens...I agree a bit of B complex might help her energy and apptitite...I would also watch and see her poop..make sure its normal...not constipated..
also all that fresh graze might have her rumen off and upset...give her C D antitoxn just in case..it wont hurt if she doesnt need it but if she does it will help a ton...3 cc every 6-8 hours for day one then every 12 hours until 24 hours after feeling better..

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Hey Cathy, did you want to take a look at my our new buck's horns? :DI posted new pics on that thread. I was hoping you could tell me if they're scurs or not. :eek::D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Howse your baby??

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
yes,,hope she if feeling better

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Check your pasture for poisonous plants, it sounds like she got into something in the pasture that didn't agree with her. Also, it is generally not a good idea to let goats graze wet pasture as it tends to cause bloat. Mild bloat would be enough to make her lethargic. Get her up and get her moving - it will help work out the gas.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
any news??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We gave her some probios we had on hand and picked up some b complex. Woke up yesterday AM to check on her and she was perfectly fine. Still fine today. So I don't know! Other than maybe a mild case of bloat. Her stool has remained normal. So whew! I'm glad we dodged that one! She's supposed to go to her new home in two weeks, so I'll make sure I tell her new owner to keep an eye on her just in case but I feel like it was probably a mild case of bloat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts