The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my 9month old wether has always been and still affectionate, he loves his face held and cuddled, gets a bit jealous of his mate (doeling) sometimes, I know that head butting between them is play and dominance, but he has started using his head on me quite a bit now, not aggressive, just play, he stops if I scratch and cuddle him, I try not to touch his head much now, and keep turning his head away, but he still tries it on, should I start with water spray, do I squirt his face? then praise him, for being good and not butting? He has horns and I have few bruises, just concerned as he gets older, that he might get out of hand. He is trained in walking on leash very well, and knows where to go for his grain, when I tell him, think he does understand NO, but not at butting. Thanks

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
Yes..stop it now! Use a hard spray or alot of water to take his breath away and make him step back. He is dominating you and will hurt you. Please stop this bad behavior. You can also flip him and hold his head down. Not a long time. But a few seconds to get his attention. You have to teach him..you are dominate.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes..stop it now! Use a hard spray or alot of water to take his breath away and make him step back. He is dominating you and will hurt you. Please stop this bad behavior. You can also flip him and hold his head down. Not a long time. But a few seconds to get his attention. You have to teach him..you are dominate.
Thank you for your advice, I will do what you suggest, and let you know how Iam getting on.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Also watch for other dominating behavior. Cutting in front of you while walking, beating you to the food, hackles raised on approach, and using you as a scratching post between his horns.

When a herd queen walks through a herd, the other goats get the heck out of the way. A reminder with a knee bump/push on your way somewhere can help change the dynamic.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Yes, definitely nip this in the bud! After you discipline (I recommend a water bottle/squirt gun), don't go after him to make friends. Just let him run off and think about his sins for a while and let him approach you. Make sure when he comes back that he has a soft eye and submissive posture. No stiff walking, no head tilting, no raised hair. Let him know that when he is friendly, you are friendly, but if he isn't nice then neither are you. Don't let him clack heads or beat up on other goats when you are there. You are the boss and nobody fights in your vicinity! Spray bottles work well, but so does a sudden arm-waving, shout-clap-stomp in his direction to scare the pants off him. I'm not such a fan of flipping goats because it's a good way for you to accidentally get hurt, and it only leaves an impression on some of them. Others it just makes them mad. Spraying water (or in the absence of water throwing pinecones, sticks, other non-injurious projectiles) works very well on most. Good luck! This is the age where many of them go through a testing phase and if you can train them past it you usually won't have trouble when they get older.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, definitely nip this in the bud! After you discipline (I recommend a water bottle/squirt gun), don't go after him to make friends. Just let him run off and think about his sins for a while and let him approach you. Make sure when he comes back that he has a soft eye and submissive posture. No stiff walking, no head tilting, no raised hair. Let him know that when he is friendly, you are friendly, but if he isn't nice then neither are you. Don't let him clack heads or beat up on other goats when you are there. You are the boss and nobody fights in your vicinity! Spray bottles work well, but so does a sudden arm-waving, shout-clap-stomp in his direction to scare the pants off him. I'm not such a fan of flipping goats because it's a good way for you to accidentally get hurt, and it only leaves an impression on some of them. Others it just makes them mad. Spraying water (or in the absence of water throwing pinecones, sticks, other non-injurious projectiles) works very well on most. Good luck! This is the age where many of them go through a testing phase and if you can train them past it you usually won't have trouble when they get older.
Hi,
Thanks for your advice, I have today starting with water squirt, and given him a nub with my knee when walked past him, things defo seem better, I did cuddle bit after the water squirt, but now understand what I should be doing now, many thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please let us know how things are going! We all like to know what works and any things that you may learn! Good luck with your little guy!
Hi, today I tried the knee nudge and water squirt, defo helping, I now know from another reader, not to praise or fuss him after I have water squirted, I just felt bit hard doing it, anyway I think he will get the message, I know he is only playing, but as guys have said, he could become dangerous, I will let you know in while longer to report on progress... hopefully, thank you

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Water squirt helping, he has been good today

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Sometimes a couple of squirts and few bumps with the knee to knock them out of your way is enough to let them know who rules the roost, and some will never challenge that again. Others you really have to keep on top of. Watching their body language is very important. A stiff posture, a hairy eyeball, cocked head, sideways stance, and raised hackles are all signs that your goat, while technically not even touching you, is in fact challenging your status. I don't let my goats walk next to me with their hair raised, even if they're just raising it at each other. I shoo them away to start their fights somewhere else so I don't end up in the middle of an altercation.

I have big, horned boys so good manners are essential to prevent accidents and injury. When our boys walk past us, they actively tilt their horns away from people to avoid even brushing anyone with the tips. There's no such thing as an "accidental" horn poke. Even if a goat gets shoved into me by another goat and it is truly an accident, I do like my dominant goats and I "butt" the goat that bumped into me with my knee or foot. Even though it was an accident, I want my boys to know that they should not put themselves between me and a dominant buddy. They need to pay attention and walk all the way around both of us so if they get hit, it won't be into my knees. I don't fancy getting knocked down even by mistake!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Hi, today I tried the knee nudge and water squirt, defo helping, I now know from another reader, not to praise or fuss him after I have water squirted, I just felt bit hard doing it, anyway I think he will get the message, I know he is only playing, but as guys have said, he could become dangerous, I will let you know in while longer to report on progress... hopefully, thank you
Don't feel too bad. Your goat isn't going to take it personally unless you make it personal. He just needs to understand you are the boss and that there are certain lines he can't cross. As long as you are clear on the boundaries and he respects them, you will be friends.

Someone else was having a similar issue a week or so ago and I gave a pretty in-depth explanation for why I don't think it's a good idea to go after a goat to "make up" after you disciplined him. You can read it here:

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/pushy-wether.219713/

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Not only will he not hold it against you, having a clear herd queen actually makes goats more comfortable! Without an adult goat in the picture, you are that herd queen. Goats thrive and feel most relaxed when there is clear hierarchy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not only will he not hold it against you, having a clear herd queen actually makes goats more comfortable! Without an adult goat in the picture, you are that herd queen. Goats thrive and feel most relaxed when there is clear hierarchy.
Thank you for making me feel better now, is it normal for my wether to boss my deoling, he is boss of her, but Iam going to be boss of him, should I just let them sort themselves out, or tell him off when he is dominant with my sweet doeling? Thank you

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't feel too bad. Your goat isn't going to take it personally unless you make it personal. He just needs to understand you are the boss and that there are certain lines he can't cross. As long as you are clear on the boundaries and he respects them, you will be friends.

Someone else was having a similar issue a week or so ago and I gave a pretty in-depth explanation for why I don't think it's a good idea to go after a goat to "make up" after you disciplined him. You can read it here:

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/pushy-wether.219713/
Thank you again, I've read the link, very thoughtful of you to explain so much, I love this forum, helping me so much as a new goat mummy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.