The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Tuesday I went to get my goats. The little herd they had was in a pen, and then all seemed calm and friendly while the owners were in there. When they penned them into the corner to get the two I was there for the herd became panicked and started tearing around the pen.

So, after the goats are in my van and I pay the guy, he tells me I got a heck of a deal because he thinks both the does are pregnant. They're only 8 months old.

I brought them home and put them into the "goat pen" - a smaller fenced section of the yard that has the goat hut. They want NOTHING to do with me, but I figure that's because of the trauma they've been through. The entire first day I don't think they either drank or ate, as I don't think they went to the part of the pen with the food and water. Yesterday I took a bucket of water and some food and put it right outside the hut, which I know they're using. I also tore a head of lettuce into chunks and tossed some of it in the part of the pen where I've seen them laying and also outside the door to the hut. It rained last night so I can't be entirely sure, but I don't think they ate any of the feed (it was a wet clump but a big wet clump), and they left the lettuce laying. The water bucket was also full.

I dumped some more feed onto the floor of the goat hut, and left some other greens there as well.

I have lots of "what if they're pregnant" questions, but right now I'm just worried about them. Is there something else I should do to encourage them to eat? Should I encourage them, or will they start munching when they're over the stress of the move? :confused:

Poor babies, I feel sorry for them. My last goats were easy - they got out of the car, started to eat and life was good.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Kind of the same situation I had with my first two girls, both young and exposed to a buck. They tried to leap through the fence whenever I went near and hardly ate a thing. Eventually they started eating but never wanted anything to do with me until I got my tame goat in with them. That settled them down a lot, in two days they were eating from my hands like I was told they would, was so happy as I had them over a month and could not get near them before. I think it is pretty hard on the young ones, but mine came around and had beautiful babies with no issues and are turning into great milkers.

·
Super Moderator
59,737 Posts
How big is your hut? They don't like to eat and drink outside when it is raining. Can you put bowls and a hay feeder and a water bucket in their shelter? It is not good to put things on the ground since that can promote parasites. You just need to spend lots and lots of time with them.

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
Yes I agree with Karen...they will need time...Leave hay out and fresh water...they will eat when youre not looking...one thing I know about goats..unless they are ill they will not do with out food ...they do need it dry so set some inside...use a dish instead of the floor so you see what they actually ate an not stomped on...spend lots of time with them coaxing them with a soft voice..hum and sing gently while busying yourself in and near their pen..they will get use to your voice and movement and be less scared each time... be sure to include loose minerals and add a powder porbiotic to their feed since giving them the paste would not be easy or fun for htem at this time...bring small treats in when you sit..some thing you like to nibble on...say lots of MMMMs while nibbling...its funny to see the goats wonder whats so good...my goats are funny...when I set out the alfalfa some begin to moan and mmm before they even take a nibble......be patient gentle and soft spoken...you will win them...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Time time time. Put a straw bale in the middle of the pen, not where they can use it to jump over the fence. Sit there. Sit there for as long as it takes, with treats. They'll come around. If they're 8 months old they can't be very pregnant, unless their breeder is an idiot.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
What breed? When I got my first goats, I would take a good book (remember when we read books?) out to the pen and eat my lunch out there. I had an apple, sliced into thin pieces and I would eat one and offer it to the nearest goat kid...after the first one took a bite...that was all it took. Raisins, animal crackers, prunes etc. carrots, all make great goat treats.

Now, we want them to look "bright eyed", and interested in what you are doing. If they are acting "off", star gazing or head down looking sick...then we want to get more involved...you need some "starter" health items...I'm sure there is a "sticky" somewhere here with the basics to get you started.

If you think they may be sick...we need to know their temperature first. Any thermometer will do. (Took my Hubby's temp the other day under his arm...he didn't trust my thermometers..."has that been in a goat?" lol).

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
Hows your new goats settling in??

·
558 Posts
That is one of the reasons we decided on bottle babies. We wanted ours for pets first, milk second and I wanted to make sure they would be friendly. Hopefully with some food temptation they will come around!

·
goat nut
316 Posts
Goats can be really picky about how they eat their food...try to make sure it is dry and clean, fed in clean buckets. You can put a bit of something sweet like molasses in their water to encourage them to drink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts