The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help...
I have a young male goat about 6 months that is not doing well at all.. I called the vet because he lost a lot of weight and has severe diarrhea. The Vet checked his stool and It was found he has a severe worm problem and also toxicida. I was giving him Ivermectin, but it didn't help. The vet told me to dispense the following: I have now been treating him for three days with Corid (6ml per day) and a single dosage of valbazen oral (1ml). When should I worm him again? After the initial meds on day one he went downhill quickly. The goat is now just laying down with no strength to move at all. He can barely lift his head and is only kicking a little bit. I am however able to give him water by a syringe, and I put goat grain in front of him and he is eating. Yesterday he ate about a full solo cup of grain, I have inside my heated barn laying on hay under a new house I built for them.

Yesterday the diarrhea stopped. When cleaning him up, I noticed a huge amount of worms in his stool. His stool was mostly white worms. Pretty disgusting…. This morning his poop was more solid but still large clumps/ balls. Does this mean he is on the upside of things? However, he still can't lift his head by himself. But this morning he took more water from me by the syringe and ate more grain.

What type of high protein grain or food is out there that can get some more energy and fat on him quickly.

What else do I need to do to get this little guy back on his feet?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention, Yes he is getting about 5-10ml of Probios. or goats prefered. Twice daily.

Have not taken his temp.

Anemic, yes very his eye lids are white. Or aleast the day the vet saw him last week he was.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
did the vet say what kind of worms? and fyi it's coccidia

if you're seeing white things in the poop. then it's tape worms. valbazen is 1 ml per 10 pounds- given orally; Treatment for tapeworms is when used 3 days in a row.

Corid can cause a thiamine deficiency, which can lead to polio. do you have some vit B on hand?

he shouldn't be having grains if he has the runs - hay and leafs only until his poops are solid. he needs electrolytes. link below for home made electrolytes. http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/home-made-electrolytes-155895/

do you have a temp? do you have anything to help the anaemia - red cell or injectable iron?

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
red cell is 6 cc per 100# double day one,,single doese for a week then once a week until color returns...you can get this in the horse area at tractor supply
you can use injecable iron, but keep a large syringe of benedryl handy in case he reacts to it...
do not use both red cell and injecable ..choose one

Vit. B 12 shots along with alflafa and green leaves will help him rebuild his red blood cells along with high protien feed once he is dry

mix 50/50 ACV and water and drench him 20 cc per day, this will help peed his recovery

with tape worms you need valbazen 3 days in a row 1 cc per 10# you may need to repeat , but I prefere to give 3 days between treatments

continue the probiotics...offer electrolytes...and keep and eye on his temp 101.5-103.5 is normal range

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
YES..!!..B complex is...

4-5 ccper 100# sub Q

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
Don't give the Fortified vit B complex or Thiamine, until he is finished with corid 5 day treatment, it will fight the corid from doing it's job.

With the Valbezen, do the 3 days in a row and give 10 days later as well.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Pam is correct..Cocci feed off the thiamin, corid mimics thiamin and when the cocci digest it, they basically die of stavation...HOWEVER...You do need to have fortified B complex or thiamine handy...first sign of polio..he wil need it ASAP

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well today the poop is getting more normal, he is pooping large and small now. He is eating some hay, not much at all, and goat chow. I am giving him 6cc of corid for 21 days according to the vet. I didn't know they were tape worms, good to know, the vet just said they are WORMS. Where do I get the Vit B? What type of Iron do I get.

Sorry im new to this and getting to know my little goat very well now.

This evening I gave him water by the syringe again and a handful of grain. It seams he likes grain much better than the hay at this point.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
21 days?? I usually only treat for FIVE, although I've been using Sulmet rather than Corid. But that seems like overkill, could possibly do more harm than good.

Tape worms are just one kind of worm they can get - one of the less dangerous ones. But they're easier to see in poop than the ones you should really be worried about. I'm surprised the vet didn't tell you what to treat for.

Polio will present with neurological symptoms - blindness, loss of coordination, muscle weakness, paralyzation...

·
Herd Bound
176 Posts
Red Cell is used orally you can use a turkey baster or a needleless syringe to get it in his mouth.

fresh Blackberry leaves if you have them also help

I would really back off on the grain, grain can cause all kinds of problems when they are sick. Fresh greens and hay are the best for healing. Electrolytes and the probiotis are good. Overcoming the anemia will take awhile but the supplements that others are recommending are good. Goats LOVE grain, it is like chocolate is to us humans...we will eat ourselves sick if we could.

red cell is 6 cc per 100# double day one,,single doese for a week then once a week until color returns...you can get this in the horse area at tractor supply
you can use injecable iron, but keep a large syringe of benedryl handy in case he reacts to it...
do not use both red cell and injecable ..choose one

Vit. B 12 shots along with alflafa and green leaves will help him rebuild his red blood cells along with high protien feed once he is dry

mix 50/50 ACV and water and drench him 20 cc per day, this will help peed his recovery

with tape worms you need valbazen 3 days in a row 1 cc per 10# you may need to repeat , but I prefere to give 3 days between treatments

continue the probiotics...offer electrolytes...and keep and eye on his temp 101.5-103.5 is normal range

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
Corid for 21 days is really going to deplete this little guy. I would love to be able to help you with a better treatment. If you can order a couple things...

This wipes out coccidia, you give one dose and then another dose 10 days later. You can give Vitamin B1 with it, which he does need since he's already down. http://horseprerace.com/toltrazuril...edient-of-Baycox®)/toltrazuril-for-epm-200ml/

Here's B1 http://horseprerace.com/vitamins/vitamin-b1-thiamine-injection-100ml/

You would give 3cc of the B1 and 3cc of fortified B complex that can be found at any feed store. Be sure to read on the B-complex and make sure it is high in B1 NOT B12.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
I agree with whats been said..Corid should not be used for 21 days...it should be a 5 day treatment...then stop...maybe the vet said retreat in 21 days?? once he is done with corid...give the vit. B complex..you can get this at tractor supply...as goat hiker said..you want it high in thiamin which should be 100 mg a least...
also stop all grain until he is normal..with all this going on he wil struggle to digest the feed...cause more issues...hay and graze and green leavesonly for now : )

best wishes

1 - 20 of 55 Posts