Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatnutty, Oct 22, 2007.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My pygmy doe has had discharge for a while and now it is bloody and thick.She may be bred but we are unable to tell.She would be due any time this month.She was very friendly but now she hates beind touched.Today it's raining andI tryed to pet her but she would not tolerate it.I can't tell by ligaments either. :(

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Sounds like she's going into labor. Do you not know how to check for Ligaments or something?

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I don't know and she won't stand still.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    it does sound like early labor. keep a close watch on her but don't interfere unless you need to.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    What I'm worried about is it's been bloody for a few days.I'm afraid that if there id a baby that it might be stuck or something.

6. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    does she seem stressed?? is she laying around a lot, is she still eating.

7. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I'd say put her up a in a clean stall, get the number of a vet, or a goat friend in town and stay in there with her to supervise.

8. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    This may sound weird but can you get a picture of her behind with the discharge. It would help me figure out whats up. Pygmies can have problems with kiddings.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I can't get pic's because it's dark in the barn and she won't move.She is laying around and they haven't been fed yet today.She does seem a little tired and stressed out.

10. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I agree that you should get her to a clean stall and make sure you have plenty of bedding and warm molasses water ready. Have someone hold her and you check her ligs. I had a pygmy cross doe die when she was in labor. I agree that you should get a goat person in your area to come and see her. Ask a knowledgeable friend first and then call a vet if you can't get a friend to come out. Please keep us posted.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is she breathing heavy/hard? Does she appear to be straining/pushing? Are there any other symptoms? Does she seem depressed? Tired?

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    She is a little tired and maybe a little depressed.She is breathing a little harder than normal.She is very tense How do you check ligaments?

13. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    by the way she is acting, i would say that she is in labor and very uncomfortable.

14. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I've got basketball and I have to leave her in 15 minutes.

15. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    is there someone that can stay with her while you are gone???

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My grandmother I have to go.

17. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    update when you get home!

18. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    What is this pygmy bred to? Sorry if I scare you but if the baby is in the wrong position it will not go into full labor (pushing labor) Someone needs to go in and check to see if she is dialated and what position the baby is in. Time is really important right now and to me a basketball game or practice can wait. Something needs to be done for this doe if she is having red discharge. I have had my share of pygmy kidding problems and what you are describing does not sound good.

19. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I was thinking the same thing Teresa...I would stay home also. This person has already logged off though.

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

any word on this one yet? I agree with you guys. Knowing from experience pygmys can have a lot of problems as their heads tend to big. I pulled my fair share of pygmy kids when i had them.
    there is something wrong here. you could have a dead kid in the birth canal. or there could be two coming at once. Any number of things could be going on here. blood is not good. especially lasting a few days....
    beth