help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sparks879, Nov 23, 2007.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have a almost two year old alpine doe that got out of the pen two days ago. Last night when i came home from relitives she wasn't feeling well. She was lethargic didn't want her dinner and all puffed up. I gave her activated charcoal and mineral oil in case she got into something poisenous. Along with some baking soda though she isn;t bloated. And some magnalax for her stomach ache (she is all hunched up) She was starting to eat hay this morning but now she is back to not wanting to eat anything, and she is cold. She is shivering. Im not sure about her tempurature, i can;t find my thermometor. and she has the runs really bad, total liquid.
    What else can i do for her....?

thanks in advance
    beth

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you can get some Milk of Magnesia take 1 tbsp of that with 1 tbsp of olive oil and drench her with that 3-4 times a day. That does WONDERS for goats with indegestion and/or goats that got into something they shouldn't have.
    Also give her gatorade since she has such bad diarreha, and B/thiamin combo shots 2-3 times a day.
    Also you may want to check for cocci, what color are her eyelids?
    Good luck.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thank you i will do, i got a blanket on her becasue she is so cold.
    thanks again
    beth

4. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    I'd say give her a squirt of hot coffee. That's what I did for Pace this morning when his temp was down and he had a stomach ache. He warmed up quickly from 98.8 degrees to 101.8. But if she is already really 'down' it might make her fel worse, but she needs to get warmed up somehow. I think if you can get rid of her stomach ache she'll start eating hay again and the hay will help warm her up. I'd do what Sarah said, but pepto worked for me.

5. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    if she is already so cold, a blanket by itself will not warm her much---they merely keep in the heat already there, and she doesn't have much of that. hot water bottles and/or warm fluids and/bringing her in somewhere warmer could all help. it is critical to get her temp up.

6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    heating pads can help get it up fast. Getting the temp up is #1 right now.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    any news? How is she. I don't want to be suggesting things that might not be the issue right now

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    has anyone heard from Beth today???

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Beth, How are we doing? Please let us know.