help?!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Jun 21, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i was walking my big alpine X kiko X boer doe, she's 6ish. and she suddenly collapsed, started shivering, with all 4 feet pointing out , then stood back up like everything was fine. she did it 5 more times on the way back to the pen. she has been in with the boys (escaped into their pen) while i was not at home. any ideas?? :shrug:

2. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    sounds like she had a seizure :? I read once where Ivromecton (spelling wrong sorry) wormer could cause them, have you used that lately?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    was she pulling on you? mine do that when they pull back away from me it cuts the air supply and they collaps

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Is she nursing kids? Does she have any other symptoms? Temperature?
    It does sound like a siezure but the question is there something that is fixable causing it.

Oh- Stacey's post just came up- it sounds like that could easily be the problem. I have never had it happen but I did read once that it could be helped by having the colar up around the angles of the jaw when they pull.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you were leading her, you more than likely accidently choked her. I have done that a couple of times when I was teaching goats to walk, the most stubborn ones will collapse if they get choked to long.

6. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i have a doe that will collapse on me the second i touch the collar
    i only collar her when i milk her
    i put the collar on and open the gate and she climbs up on the stand herself
    then i clip her to the stand and she eats and i milk
    no problems
    til we are both done and i want her down
    if i touch the collar at all she starts gagging and goes down on me and starts "fishing"
    (flopping like a fish out of water)
    i just stand there now and let her come off the stand when she is good and ready
    boy has she got ME well trained

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks, yes i had it up by the jaw, and she was pulling the whole way through. i think you guys are right, she must have just choked, thanks.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a goat who woudl do that all the time. SO I learned that once it happened give them a moment to recoop and then MAKE her walk again with the collar. I never let go of the collar even when they are "catching their breath" They quickly learn that resisting is NOT going to get them what they want.

heavenlyhaven I would work more and more with your doe on her collar training as she is showing you that SHE is boss and not yourself

9. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I had a goat do that today lol, I beleive it is actually a nerve in the neck that if it gets hit right they twitch and flop around, if they were to loose air they would just pass out. I had a breeder told me it was a nerve. Anywyas, it dosent hurt, and after a few seconds they will be fine!! lol, I hate it when they do it!

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks! glad it isnt anything serious!