The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was walking my big alpine X kiko X boer doe, she's 6ish. and she suddenly collapsed, started shivering, with all 4 feet pointing out , then stood back up like everything was fine. she did it 5 more times on the way back to the pen. she has been in with the boys (escaped into their pen) while i was not at home. any ideas?? :shrug:

·
Registered
326 Posts
sounds like she had a seizure :? I read once where Ivromecton (spelling wrong sorry) wormer could cause them, have you used that lately?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Is she nursing kids? Does she have any other symptoms? Temperature?
It does sound like a siezure but the question is there something that is fixable causing it.

Oh- Stacey's post just came up- it sounds like that could easily be the problem. I have never had it happen but I did read once that it could be helped by having the colar up around the angles of the jaw when they pull.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
If you were leading her, you more than likely accidently choked her. I have done that a couple of times when I was teaching goats to walk, the most stubborn ones will collapse if they get choked to long.

·
627 Posts
i have a doe that will collapse on me the second i touch the collar
i only collar her when i milk her
i put the collar on and open the gate and she climbs up on the stand herself
then i clip her to the stand and she eats and i milk
no problems
til we are both done and i want her down
if i touch the collar at all she starts gagging and goes down on me and starts "fishing"
(flopping like a fish out of water)
i just stand there now and let her come off the stand when she is good and ready
boy has she got ME well trained

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I had a goat who woudl do that all the time. SO I learned that once it happened give them a moment to recoop and then MAKE her walk again with the collar. I never let go of the collar even when they are "catching their breath" They quickly learn that resisting is NOT going to get them what they want.

heavenlyhaven I would work more and more with your doe on her collar training as she is showing you that SHE is boss and not yourself

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had a goat do that today lol, I beleive it is actually a nerve in the neck that if it gets hit right they twitch and flop around, if they were to loose air they would just pass out. I had a breeder told me it was a nerve. Anywyas, it dosent hurt, and after a few seconds they will be fine!! lol, I hate it when they do it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts