help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Sep 18, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so one of my bucks starting acting dumpy yesterday, so since I have know pneumonia is going around I gave him a shot of Nuflor, a shot of thiamine and a shot of vit B. Today he is a bit worse. Rumen is hard as a rock but has some movement to it, he is cold so I think it is about to shut down. He is in a pin by himself and he is eating that I see, dont know if he is drinking so I have been drenching him with warm water with redcell in it. My thermometer is broke so I dont know what his temp is but I know he is cold cause his mouth is cold. I have sub Q fluids should I start him on that? WHat should I do??

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    never ever :angry: treat a goat with meds.......... until you take there temp first........................ he may have a tummy ache or rumen problem and with his mouth cold doesn't sound good, doesn't sound like a fever..........you needed a temp before anything was done ,now if you take it it might be inaccurate , buy a thermometer.........that is a must...... :hair:

sorry if I am stern.............. but this is very important.... :(

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    the reason I gave him a shot of nuflor was becuase I have lost 2 goats to pneuminia, I noticed they were feeling ok and within 24 hours they were dead, thats why I gave him the shot. His mouth was kinda cold yesterday, today it feels about the same. WHy does a rumen shut down? WHat causes that? And since it is not shut down yet, how to I keep it from shutting down? Yes I know I need an accurate thermometer, but last night that was not my top priority, my top priority was keeping him alive, and so far he is. please let me know if there is anything I can do, I am gonna start him on sub q fluid drip

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would suggest some probiotis, or even steal the cud from another goat and put it into him.

6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Title of POST
    Sick pregnant doe...

check out this post ,,it has alot of info that might help with rumen problems

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have given meds without checking a temp -- toth boer that was out of line!

Rachel my mind can't come up with anything else right now but if I do I will let you know.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, you can start him on sq fluids if you want. It wont hurt him any... well the needle will but you get my point lol. I would only give him a total of 500cc today if you think he is really dehydrated. Tent the skin and if it doesn't spring right back then he is dehydrated.

You could give him some whiskey,karo or molasses, and coffee mixed together in equal parts. 3cc for an adult.. I am guessing he is. That should warm him up and perk him up a bit.

Is he chewing cud? I would give him some probios.. but if he isn't chewing cud then I would steal some cud from another goat and give it to him to help his tummy.

I always seem to loose my thermometer at the worst times so don't worry about it. :wink:

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what..........why.........staceyRoop........ it only gives you more accurate readings..........to know how to treat the problem correctly...VETS tell you that .............first thing.......
    :shrug:

11. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thank you so much susanne..............

13. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I dont think she was out of line, I understand your point about the thermometer, but I had necropsies done on the 2 that died and it was pneumonia, thats why I panicked and gave a shot of nuflor. SO dont worry about it! :) Now, he is chewing his cud, he is eating, he is peeing, and pooping normal. I have not seen him drink water so I put a bucket with warm warm water and he drank a couple gulps. That post you told me about, "sick doe" sounds alot like him, kinda weak on his legs, stands hunched up. He was not wormed or anything, I hadent done a thing to this boy. The temp dropped quick in the last couple of days, it has gone from 90's to the 70's in like 2 days. thats another reason I thought it was a lung issue. I will try to find my other thermometer, but I know he is cold so I moved him into my garage in a large kennel and turned my dryer on. I will probably throw a sweat shirt on him too lol. I will give him some baking soda and try that whiskey coffee and mollassses. I think I am out of whiskey tho, will anything else work, like rum?

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes rum should work.

I have used the mixture many times and it always warms them up. :)

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sixshooterfarm wow the sick doe post, does sound like your buck.......did you get to read the whole thing?.......so glad he is doing better already....................... :leap: :leap: :leap:

thank you everyone for supporting me and my big mouth................. :hug: :grouphug:

16. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well mine isent doing better, he is just the same, eating and everything. I am gonna go get a NEW THERMOMETER!!! lol sorry couldent resist. I do have a thermometer, but when I used it last night it said his temp was 80....if his temp was 80 he would have been dead, used it on a healthy goat, and it sid 81.... so it was broke last night lol, but I did have one on hand, and I just figured out it was broke lol. he is just hanging out, not too sure whats gonna happen. anyideas?

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup:

Did you get to read the whole post on Sick pregnant doe..maybe there is more help there..........

probiotic and backing soda is good to use..................for gut problems............good luck and I will pray for him.. :pray:

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh just remember to keep him warm....................and keep the liquids coming...... :thumb:

you are right ................if he and another goat were 80' and 81'....your thermometer is also under the weather.............LOL

19. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok, got his temp.......95.5 I am now very worried. I just drenched him with baking soda and warm water, and the mollasses STRONG coffee and tequila since i dident have whiskey or rum, and I know tequilla makes me warm so I figured it would make him warm lol. is there anything else I can do..... gosh I am afraid I have lost him! he is standing and he is eating when I put oat hay in front of him, but he has been eating all night long so he is probably full. I dont know, is there anything else I can do? oh I will just die if I lost him. please help

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Blankets or old sweatshirt cut so he can still pee without wetting it.

I had a buck with a temp of 97.5 and he pulled through fine. You can get him through this. Give him some time to warm up. He is still standing and eating so that is a good sign. :hug:

Oh and you can give that mixture every half hour till his temp goes up.