HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RowdyKidz, Aug 20, 2009.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    We just got a letter in the mail today saying we need Scrapie ID tags for every exhibited goat at our fair. I am not happy at all as our goats have to be in on Monday and they just now sent out a letter informing all goat people of the changes.

Is the Scrapie ID supposed to be the micro-chip number? Or the goats tattoo number? Or is it a totally different number?

If you can, please please help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much, Tara

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't know about Ohio, but in IL a tattoo can substitute a tag for ID. I would contact your local vet or 4-H leader to see if they can explain the rules for you.

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks, I have called everyone possible. Head of goat department, etc and no one has answered. :angry:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Premise I.D. call ODA Animal Industry Division at 1-614-728-6220. To order Scrapie Tags call Ohio APHIS Dept. at 1-866-873-2824 or 1-614-856-4735.

All goats that are registered.... do not need scrapies tags... because they are tattooed and the registration is a way for them....to track where they came from...in case of an epidemic...if that registered goat.. is sold as unregistered ...then that goat... has to have a scrapie tag........
    The number to the dept of scrapie s tags is above...I would call them and verify .....Good luck... :hug:

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH PAM!!!!!!!!!!

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are so ...very welcome.....Good luck to you :hug: :thumbup:

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    As long as they are all tattooed there shouldn't be an issue.

8. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    If they are tattoed you should be fine. I would still order the tags so you have them in the future. Our health cert's require a scrapie number on them not a premise id#. At our county fair our dairy wethers that are lamancha cross we just hang a scrapie tag on the collar since they usually have elf ears. We have the state vet there and we've never had a problem.

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    When I received my scrapie tags a few yrs back they were my initials plus 1 after the initials.
    Last yr was the first time I ever used them for FFA projects.
    Everybody else gets tattooed...guess what, the owner ID is the same, my initials with a #1 after it.

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everyone. Got it mostly figured out and will be getting everyone tattooed (hopefully) tomorrow!

11. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Tara, here's what the OSU extension agent sent me:

You will need to contact USDA APHIS Veterinary Services at 12927 Stonecreek Dr. Pickerington OH 43147; Phone 614-469-2110. They will have the forms you can fill out to get a premise number and apply for tags or tattoos. The last I heard their tags were free.

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    See, I had never gotten ANYTHING (at least regaurding pygmies) then last night I got a letter saying all goats need tagged amd how the state vet was going top check every animal and needed goats papers. And my goats need to be in place on Monday! :angry: Plus I had JUST sent in 4 NPGA papers last week! So now I'm really screwed!

And I've got to get 1 goat a scarpie ID and 8 need tattooed! :veryangry: Man, is my fair board going to get it from me!! And the ruled fpr it at our fair were supposed to be effective January 1, 2005. So they send out a letter basically a weekend before goats have to be in! :angry:

Sorry, for the rambling, I just have a lot on my shoulders at the moment.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow..... :shocked: they definitely were unfair ...in sending the notice out that late......it takes longer than that ....to get registration or even scrapies tags back....I don't see... how they expect everyone ...to get things together that quickly.....I am sorry you are going through that and pray that you will make it on time.... :hug: :pray:

14. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I know!

But luckily we got it ALL done... :cool:

Now, how do I get the green off of their faces?!?
    :help:

15. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    :doh: baby wips and rubbing achole and dawn dish soap. That is what we used to get the green off of ours. Have to tattoo our for new york job. Even my Pani had a green face for a couple of days.

16. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Really?

Is there another way that someone uses? I need help ASAP!!!

Thanks!! :greengrin: