HELP!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by tradershez, Dec 23, 2010.

1. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Hi, I am hoping I can get some advice.

One of the goats in our vacinity was one of triplets (all boys).
    He is now almost 4 months old. This goat is not growing properly. He has constant diarrhea & seems to grow wider, not taller. Another kid was born 2 months after him & he is the same height....so to give you an idea of the size he is (4 month old goat - same size as 2 month goat).

He does not seem "right". He cries alot & even his own mother goat does not really seem into him.

He is also very light to pick up. He used to be quite "overweight" looking bebause he he used to do was eat, eat, eat. But he is not bloated now and seems far too light for his size (the younger goat feels heavier to me when we pick him up).

We live in a island, where there is virtually no vet help. There are no vaccinations that you give to goats. He is "free" and is owned by our neighbours. So we cannot do anything to control his eating.

What does he have? What can we do?

Thanks
    Sherid

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like Coccidiosis. Need to get him treated. Might also have worms.

What is his temp?

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    mom usually knows best... he is definitely sick or maybe has a birth defect... with most animals if the mom rejects one baby but not the others then there is probably something wrong with it. wish i could help...

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bloaty looking and a feather weight...I agree with Kelebek, sounds like cocci/ get his temp and if over 103 start him on antibiotics. Keep him hydrated and if you cannot get him to see a vet for a fecal count, start him on cocci meds. TSC carries corrid, I've not used it but others here have...I also found Sulmet at my local feed mill, if you can get sulmet or di-methox the dose straight from the bottle is 1cc per 5 lbs today then 1cc per 10lbs the next 4-7 days.

5. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks! I have called the vets and got a stool sample to get to them. How do I check his temp. I have a human thermometer that I coudl use to stick up his butt? Is this the right way to do it? What temp is normal for a goat and what is normal in degrees celsius...?
    Thanks you guys are awesome!!!! His other brothers have been tied up and are much bigger. The mother actually was not keen on him and also another of the brothers but seriously favoured one of the brothers (triplets) - she would never feed them unless this favoured brother was there. The other two (who were actually the 2 smallest at birth) always shared one teet and the favoured one had his own.

I took the stool sample, in the fridge about to go the vet to drop off. And there was heaps of mucus stuff in his stools.

Thanks heaps!
    Sherid

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yep - right on up the therometer goes :) Make sure and put some oil, lube, something since his hiney will probably be sore from the scours.

Sometimes they just don't understand when their are more than two, sometimes they feel something is wrong, or sometimes they are just not good mommas

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Rectal temp...38.2-39.7*C is normal(101*F-103.5*F)

You can dose him with Pepto Bismol...6cc every 6 hours to help with the scours, also, a trick that I have always used and recommend...give him a handful of dry oatmeal, not instant, it will help bind his poop.

8. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I would personally immediately treat for Cocci and worms, and also get the stool sample in... shouldn't take long to get results, especially if they know how worried you are and how ill he is. You'll get more with honey, my mom always says, so stress you sympathy & concern of this poor boy, and hopefully they can get back to you asap.
    Hope all works out alright.

9. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Thank you so much!!!

We don't have any of the medication you guys all speak of BUTa sample stool is being tested as I write. They will get back to us tomorrow morning.

I am a little worried if it the cocci disease...this little guy has been wandering freely for at least 2 months all over the place - our yard, under our house, in our garden. He poos everywhere, I have had to clean our carport manytimes...the dogs are always eating the goat poops.

The problem where we live is that no-one has fences. The goats all live in a unkept section and th adult goats are tethered & the babies run free until they start to get unmanageable and people get annoyed that there "boundary plants" (which are kind of like fences here) get eaten by the kids. Our boundary plants are almost all eaten up.

I will wait until the result come back b4 I go into panic mode & how to manage the poos everywhere etc and whether it can be passed to the dogs and humans etc...

Not panicking at all :)

Poor wee soul. We got him a few hours ago and gave him a warm bath/wash (with gloves on)...to try and get rid of the poo that is all over this guy (he is white so it shows up big time).

Will be in touch tomorrow (8pm here now).

Thanks!!!

10. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Ok, the vet got back to me - she was really vague on the phone...but she says that she saw heaps of worms in the sample. So we are treating for worms....

Question - can humans get worms from goats? Can our dogs get worms from them? We have treated the dogs for worms today too (they eat the goats poos).

We have "beach towels" which we lay down for the goats from time to time and we have washed them in our personal washing machine....could we have caught the worms from them? Obviously we won't use the towels again for our use, but I did put them through our washing machine...

Thanks heaps :)

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did he say what kind of worms?
    And what are you using for it ...what's the Dose?

If there are heaps of worms... I recommend ...worming them again.. 7 to 10 days later... to get the hatching eggs...

Under the right conditions... the right timing.. yes dogs and humans.. can get worms from goats...tapes are a good example....

If you are washing the towels... I would think... the worms and eggs... would be dead...from the heat of the dryer.... :wink: :thumb: