The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two kid pygmys one boy one girl they are brother and sister he was banded and they have fallen off and now he has watery fecal matter and they are eating the same things and only he has It I dont know what it is from. Any ideas?

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
How is he behaving other wise. happy, playful eating well?? are they on the bottle or weened? How old are they now?

cocci can show up as runs in one kid and not the other...I would treat both with sulmet or dimethox..or baycox which is my first choice but needs to be ordered..

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
If you can have a fecal done...I would ask for it to be checked for cocci as well..if you can not have one done then treatment will not hurt...pick up sulmet or dimethox to treat..I would highly recommend avoiding corid..it is a thiamine inhibitor and can cause goat polio..
Give him 4-6 cc pepto to help sooth his tummy and dry his bum...
also check the banded area..make sure it looks free of infection and is healed nicely..
keep him hydrated since the runs will drain him...here is a nice home made electro you can fix for them both...just sit it in a bowl next to their water...they will choose it or not..toss it daily : )

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

When I looked on the back of the electrolytes bag at ingredients the main ingredients were Sugars, Sodium/salts and Potassium along with vitamin and minerals..

Molasses is a sugar with Vitamins and Minerals

Of course the salts are hopefully self explanatory..

Apple Cider Vinegar contains potassium..

This is much cheaper than those tiny bags of electrolytes and usually you have these ingredients on hand.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question but where do you get molasses from? I don't think I've ever seen it........Ive seen your recipe several times and have been meaning to ask:?

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Not a dumb question : ) many grocery stores carry regular molasses which can be used but the good stuff...black strap is usually found in health food stores and specialty store..is strong and full of nutrients

here is Texas HEB may carry it or Central Market which is a specialty store owned by HEB..so if they carry it, HeB can order it for you

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Not a dumb question : ) many grocery stores carry regular molasses which can be used but the good stuff...black strap is usually found in health food stores and specialty store..is strong and full of nutrients

here is Texas HEB may carry it or Central Market which is a specialty store owned by HEB..so if they carry it, HeB can order it for you
Awesome! I'll have to look for it next time I'm there. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts