The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new baby Stewy, has the BAD case of the bloat! I'm a first time "goat mommy" and I'm worried! He's just standing here looking at me like he's trying to tell me it hurts. When he tries to lay down he cries and gets back up. What can I do to relieve him of his discomfort?? Please any suggestions will be appreciated

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Get him to stand his front feet on something several inches higher than his back feet, and rub his tummy.
When you get tired of that, walk him around.
What you're trying to do is get him to burp/chew his cud/get his rumen going.
Also give him some baking soda.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
From http://www.goatworld.com/articles/bloat/bloat.shtml

For goats that are still able to walk, you will need to drench a quarter of a pint of mineral oil or cooking oil down the goat's throat and then exercise the goat (through walking) and massaging of the sides. This most often will cause the built up gas to escape through the mouth or rectum. Once you have gotten the goat relieved of the gas, one treatment prescribes giving a small amount of sodium bicarbonate (approximately one tablespoon) mixed in a small amount of warm water or molasses. Another treatment encourages giving the goat a tablespoon of lime (dolomite) and seaweed meal mixed in a half pint of cider vinegar which will help to replace the missing magnesium and potassium.

For a goat that is down and in distress, it is highly recommended that you contact a veterinarian immediately because the pressure caused by the bloat in the abdomen can often stop the lungs and heart from working. The veterinarian will release the gas by making a small incision using a trochar. The incision is made four fingers width behind the bottom of the ribs on the left side of the goat as it lies.

Author note: Some may be critical of the use of a trochar. The use of a trochar or "puncturing" to release the gas bloat should only be used as a last resort. In the various cases of severe bloat I have seen, once the goat is down, barely able to breathe and barely able to bleat, the trochar method is essentially the only way for immediate relief, other the internal pressure placed upon the vital organs such as the heart and lungs makes death imminent within a very short period of time. Again, this measure shoul donly be used as a last resort and when all other efforts to relieve the bloat have failed.

When a veterinarian is not immediately available, you can perform the incision yourself using the information previously stated - just be sure to use a sharp, pointed knife that has been disinfected. Insert the knife or sharp, pointed object until the gas begins to escape, twist slightly and remove. Bandage the wound once the bloat condition has been relieved. In either case, it is a good idea to contact a veterinarian to provide follow-up care or advice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for quick response!! He's still on bottle so should I just mix soda with water and give it to him...and how much should I give him

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much baking soda and he's still on bottle do should I just water it down??? I'm sooo worried can this kill him???

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
You're welcome!
You can make a "ball" from about 1 tablespoon of baking soda by dampening it with water or molasses.
Hope he feels better soon.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Keep rubbing his tummy and walking him.
Can you hear his tummy working yet? How long has he been bloated?

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
How much baking soda and he's still on bottle do should I just water it down??? I'm sooo worried can this kill him???
I'm sure he'll be fine, but if it gets really bad you may have to take him to a good goat vet, or call an experienced goat owner.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About an hour???? Can he die???? Someone said to give him baking soda??

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
He won't die. Lots of goats have gotten over it perfectly well because they have great owners like you. Go ahead and give the baking soda and let us know how he is. :hug:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have him soda and trying to get him to walk....but he just stands there! He pooped a little but not much...what can I do??? I'm worried....don't have moola for vet

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Its good that he pooped, sounds like he's getting better so you won't need a vet. If you need to, put a leash on him and drag him.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
help

He barely got any baking soda. He spit it out. Should I give him a little cooking oil? And by the way thank you so much for all your advice. I'm really worried

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
If you can get enough of the baking soda dissolved into a bit of water then given by syringe it's better than none at all... stand him up on his hind legs and rest his chest on your knee, rub his belly and rub his throat, the action on his throat will force a burp. Once he's burped a few times, he'll feel better

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
You need to see if you can get him to burp with the BS first... if it's frothy bloat, the oil will help but you need to be very careful when giving it so he doesn't aspirate it.

Since he's a bottle baby, try the 1/2 ounce of soda water in his bottle and see if he'll take it that way...then rub his belly and throat to induce burps

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Sylvie is right...give him baking soda and rub message deep and walk him like crazy...it is uncomfortable for sure...I take about 1/2- 1 tsp baking soda in enough water to drench..then shoot it down the hatch..he wont like it..keep messageing that left side..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts