The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 month old baby got cocci even after giving baycox. She is really sick, I gave baycox after she got the poops and did not clear up. I gave again no better then took to vet got albon yesterday. Very weak today and will not drink bottle. She has horrible poops. What to Dr o

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
If she is a lot worse then she might need to go back and get IV fluids. Have you tried to give her water with a syringe? I would with some Bounce back in it. It kills fast so don't wait, I would call the vet if she is that bad already.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I would give her pepto to help firm up her poop. Also she needs SQ fluids - the vet should have done that before. But now go back and demand them.

Albon wont work in just one day - once the damage is done too it can take weeks for their bodies to recover.

Did the vet confirm coccidiosis with a fecal or just proscribe new med? I would be inclined to believe she might have ecoli or worms if the Baycox didnt clear things up (what dosage did you use? and how long did you wait to let it take effect?)

She also needs probios and some Bcomplex wouldnt hurt

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the vet did a fecal. I just gave her pepto and jump start. I also gave her goat electrolyte. I used a syringe and gave it to her. She is breathing hard.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Have you taken a temp on her?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
IV is way faster and better. Is she dehydrated? DO you know how to do the pinch test?
Did you get a temp?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My little girl is very sick to. She keeps throwing up so its hard for me to take care of the doeling. But I am very attached so don't wanna lose her

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
I do not know how to do pinch test on goat and I have not taken her temp. What should temp be
Pinch test is: lightly pull the skin up and away from her body, then release it, if it goes back slowly, she is dehydrated, if it is quick, she is OK.

Normal temp is 101.5 to 103.5

She needs to see the vet, if she is getting worse. :(

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
I agree with Stacy..I have never heard of a case where Baycox didnt work. neomycin is great oral antibiotic for ecoli and gut related bacteria infection..If worms are an issue I would treat with Valbazen..1 cc per 10# Offer her home made electros and see if she wont drink on her own...green leaves and blackberry leaves are great for a sick goats..
I would be giving C D Antitoxin as long as she is runny and off food..B complex as a support
Always give probios after antibioic treatments or when they tummy if off...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses9 or what ever molasses you haveon hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
sounds like all bases have been covered for treating ecoli, coccidiosis and worms. Now its just supportive treatment till her body recovers.

the electrolytes like happybleats posted, probios, pepto and Bcomplex

1 - 20 of 31 Posts