The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Nubian whether about a year and a half old. I came home the day before yesterday afternoon (so about 36 hours ago) and he had broken into the tack room and eaten a large amount of chicken feed and sheep feed. He seemed ok that day then yesterday he seemed ill and didn't eat at all all day and just laid in the stall all day and evening. He didn't appear to be bloating, but I gave him dumor brand anti-bloat treatment anyway. This morning he seems the same. He doesn't want to eat up and leave the stall, he won't eat. It's the Fourth of July so I can't get a hold of my vet. I called tractor supply to see if they had the cd antitoxin but they said no. Things are just opening this morning but I'm calling the feed stores to see if they have any. Would that still work this late?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I agree!! Milk of Magnesia ...

Per Tennessee meat goats
Use as oral drench at a rate of 15 cc per 60 lbs. body weight every four to six hours until the feces goes from normal to clumpy then back to normal 'pills.' Always keep the animal hydrated with electrolytes (ReSorb or equivalent) when using Milk of Magnesia or other laxatives. Keep MoM on hand at all times.

He needs this done ASAP walk him alot..dont let him lay around..messsage and bounce his left side....he also needs Propbiotics...

·
1,524 Posts
At the least he's got a bad case of acidosis going on and I bet he's working on a case of polio also. You need to get him dosed with B complex and/or thiamine(if you can get it) Is he cudding at all? If not, his rumen is in danger of shutting down. Baking soda as suggested. Yes, I woulod still try to get the CD antitoxin. Do you know any local goat/sheep/cattle owners who might have some?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your help. We were able to get the antitoxin from a local animal sanctuary after desperately trying every source. That and electrolytes and teh milk of magnesia seems to have pulled him through. He is up and grazing today. I have double locks on the feed room now!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
wonderful news!!!. Glad you found someone with the CD ANti. I have to order C D Antitoxin from Jeffers..cant fin dit around here either..I always order two bottles at a time : )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts