Help!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jamiestalter, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Jamiestalter

Jamiestalter New Member

Aug 4, 2013
    I am new to raising Pygmys and I think I just made a HUGE mistake. My pygmy is about 2 months old and I went to give his CDT shot. Every where I looked it said 2 cc's and the guy at the store said the same thing. I am still bottle feeding him milk replacer that he was on since I bought him. Today when I went out to feed him he went to take the bottle got a mouth full and backed away and started chewing. It sounds like he is chewing on something gritty. He is still pooping (it was loose blobs instead of like little rabbit poops) and urinating. The sides of his mouth feel almost gritty like a cat tongue but I don't know if that's normal or not. I am not sure if this is just a side effect of the CDT shot or he just ate some funny grass/weeds and he's struggling to digest it because I left him out of the pen to get some munchies. The worst part is I have to leave for 4 days to go to a conference for work but my Fiance (who knows nothing) is staying with him. Please help me!!!

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Ok first: Not the CD&T...2 cc is correct....sides of mouth is like a cat tongue...so all good

Him not wanting his bottle and what sound like grinding teeth is a gut issue...
    I would give him C D antitoxin
    Take his temp..should be between 101.5-103.5

3. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    How much milk does he get per feeding and how often?
    any chicken feed that he could have gotten into?

too much feed? wet graze? too much milk at one time can all shut down rumen function...

4. Jamiestalter

Jamiestalter New Member

Aug 4, 2013
    hes been drinking 2 pints of milk once a day and he has goat dry feed and water at all times as well. I looked up bloat does that sound about right? He is still pooping but he looks like he is constipated. What can I do to help his rumen?

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    2 Pints is quite a bit for him to digest at one time...

Stop milk for now...no grain for now...only hay and green leaves

He needs cd antitoxin ..what is happening is the milk its sitting and becoming toxic...if you can find C D Antitoxin use Milk of Magnesia...15 cc per 60# ...
    give him electrolytes to keep him hydrated and help flush the toxins..
    give him daily probios..you can add powder to his electrolyte bottles or get the paste..

he should be eating no more than 10% f his body weight in oz..
    his weight x 16 = his weight in oz / x 10% for how much to have in a 24 hour period dived into 4 feedings...to ween you cut bottle but do not add the milk to the remaining feeding..you just cut them out completely which encourages them to begin eating more hay..and graze

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
    2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
    1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
    1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Hows your little man?