The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 year old boer/dairy cross that has a red swollen tail and butt. The area around her anus. But he r vulva is not swollen. She was in the barn not out grazing. Also I have Another boer goat that has knot on her chest. About the size of an egg. No other problem s. Any idea

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will go get pictures later today. She could be in heat but she is staying away from others. Its her tail and around her butt. I figured if she was inheat she wound be red and swollen lower

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Could be she got stung, got in a ant hill, a splinter...so many things..I picture would help...a vet visit might be in order..
check her temp,
see if she is pooping berries.and peeing well, eating if offered?
her not joining the others sounds like she is not feeling well..her temp should be between 101.5 and 103.5...
For the one with a large lump on her chest..this can be CL, a picture of that would help as well..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My vet is out today. But will take tomorrow but he does not know a lot about goats. Not very many large animal vets around

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
wow..poor baby...that look uncomfortable...might try cold pack to reduce the swelling, banamine will help with discomfort and inflammation as well...her hair around the tail and down her legs are very yellowed...is she peeing laying down?? lethargic ??

for you doe with a lump...is that hard or soft in the center..??Looks like a CL lump..you need to keep an eye on it..if its soft and or balding you need her seperate from the herd...

·
1,983 Posts
The tail area looks like it could be from an insect sting. I would give her some benedryl.

The lump well I can't speak on what it is. How long has she had it? What does it feel like? Make sure she doesn't have a splinter in it.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I agree, looks like a insect bite, but could also be something that she layed down in did not agree with her. I would also give a dose of the benedryl. It will not hurt her if its not the case ;)
I also agree that it looks very very much like cl. Dont know what your thoughts are on goats with cl, but I would for sure get her away from the other goats when the hair starts to fall off, thats your sign that its going to burst.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The spot on reese is hard and not balding. Juliet is laying down a bunch but we got lots of rain and she has been laying on top a huge dirt pile

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I agree benadryl would be a good idea..10-15 cc ...the liquid is easy to use...also the cold pack to hep reduce the swelling..I would also get her temp...make sure she is not fighting is infection

as fro your girl with a lump...not all cyst are CL...could be she got a splinter there and its festering...but until you know what you have..treating it like CL is wise..
Some will cull any goat with CL other will work through it...Ive dealt with it and chose to work through it...A vet can lance and clean it for you when its ready..(you will know its ready when it looses hair and the center become very soft) once a vet cleans it out..you will want her in a easy to clean space and will need to flush it a few times a day for several days..there is a thread on here about CL and very informative chat back and forth on both standings ..culling or keeping...Ill try to find it and post a link....

·
Registered
30,668 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Happybleats said it just right :). It is your choice. I also choose to work threw it since my all time best friend goat was the one that had cl. The post above is a very good post, read that, look up cl and read different sites and then make up your mind. And if your still not sure and have questions start a new thread.
As for puffy behind girl :) Did you get a temp on her??? Even if its a limp I get a temp on my goats. If she is fine there keep in mind goats are the biggest cry babies when it comes to any type of pain, which IMO makes it so hard to tell just how sick, or hurt ect they really are. Still keep a eye on her :)
Ohhh and ps about the cl, yes it could also be many other things, It just looks like cl to me, and also no matter what it is or could be wear gloves when it bursts or if you clean it out ect

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot to let everyone know the vet thinks Juliet did get stung and she is getting better and Reese he said just to watch the knot and if it gets bigger then we will drain and see if its cl

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
good news on Juliet....we send good thought for Reese...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts