The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pigmy baby has had diarrhea for a week and a half. Started treating for cocci with the wrong thing ( the man at tsc told me to use Duramycin). I finnished using that because I didn't wanna just quit. I have corid but am waiting 24 hrs to start it. My baby is weak. He can't get up by himself. He doesn't seem hedydrated I did the pinch check. He has labored breathing and the side of his face was wet when I picked him up off of his side so I'm assuming he is drooling? He feels warm but I don't have a rectal thermometer. I have no clue what to do. I'm waiting for the vet to call me back. Please, any advice would be awesome!!!

·
962 Posts
Duramycin is for pigs and cows I believe? Try to syringe some electrolytes into him since the dehydration is what will ultimately kill him since the diarrhea. I'm guessing that he won't swallow though because he is drooling. Do you have any Sub-Q fluids?

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Go to the store and pick up a Digital thermometer. We need to know what it is for proper treatment.

How old is the goat?

take in a fecal sample for worms and cocci

Second thought:
Labored breathing and burning up could be pneumonia.

I would take the kid into the vet, especially if he cannot get up. This sounds like an emergency. :(

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I agree... this is an emergency situation...if you cant get him to the vet you need to start antibiotics now...Tylan 200 1 cc per 25#..LA 200 1 cc per 20# or Penicillin if its all you got 1 cc per 20#
get some fluids in him and prop him up with a towel or old blanket so he is not on his side..

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I hope you get him taken care of. Let us know. Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clyde is up and eating. He isn't drooling any more. He is drinking water. We're starting treatment for cocci now and continuing the pepto. His stool isn't as runny as it was so let's keep our fingers crossed!! Thanks so much for all of the tips. I finally got a hold of a vet who knows what they are talking about.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
good news ., are you also treating with antibiotics? .. best wishes for a full recovery..do keep an eye on his temp ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope he does too. These 2 Billy's are my first experience with baby goats. I never thought there was so much i didn't know. I have horse and have had bottle calves and adult goats. I've never had any babies though. I'm doing my best with it :). Thank the lord for people like y'all! I'm so thankful for the information.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
He has labored breathing and the side of his face was wet when I picked him up off of his side so I'm assuming he is drooling? He feels warm but I don't have a rectal thermometer.
Cocci is very opportunistic, if he was not doing well they would certainly invade causing the runs..with the labored breathing and feeling warm ..Its a good chance he has Pneumonia ... Penicillin wouldn't be my first choice for this but if its all that is on hand I would use it..1 cc per 20 # Sub Q...be sure to pull the plunger back..if you see blood..re adjust and try again...This is very important, you don't want to get Pen in the vein...
I would pick up a cheap digital thermometer and keep a watch on his temp..Pepto will sooth his tummy and help dry his bum ..

Daily Vit B complex would be ideal while using Corid..

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Yep I would hate to have to read a reg. Thermometer lol..the digitals spoiled me..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is still weak. When he lays down he seems to fall on his side? I prop him back up? I'm not sure what to do

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
roll a towel or old blanket to keep him off his side..
were you able to get a temp? Have you started antibiotics?
is he drinking well?? if not he need hydration..that will bring him down faster then cocci..even if you have to drench him or tube him...he needs to stay hydrated...if all else fails..a vet can give him IV fluids..
B complex can do alot to help perk him up...helps with energy and appetite...
how is his eating..pooping berries or runny??

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I would get some Thiamine (or the Fortified B-complex) into your boy as soon as possible. Corid is not my first choice for cocci, but, early on I gave that according to my vet and everyone was fine. My vet says she hasn't had a case of polio from giving Corid, but, I worry about that anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im a wreck. He passed away early this morning. I'm scared something is gonna happen to his brother now. The vet did everything she could to help me with him. I still feel like I didn't do enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to continue treating colt ( Clyde's brother) for cocci. He doesn't have a temp. He had some diarrhea but it seems to be gone now. I just can't believe how fast Clyde went down hill. I thought he was getting better then yesterday all of this happened. I'm lost. I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. In reality, I don't. I'm tried everything I possible could.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts