The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two six month old female goats a month ago that had been roaming with about 25 other goats. Their we're a few males in the group. could my girls be pregnant or are they too young? We also just got a male Pygmy who is 8 months with his mom and 2 other goats which are mother and son who is 8 weeks old. After I got the other pairs all the females had clear discharge type stuff coming from them.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Yes they can get pregnant. You should keep your males and females separate. The 6 month olds could have serious kidding problems if bred so young.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Yes they could be bred...a $5 blood test will tell you if they are and how far along they are..Bio tracking is a good reliable lab...the 8 month old buck can and will breed any female with in his reach..including mom..the 8 week old buck certainly will try too but may not be as successful..
discharge can be from being bred ( usually whiteish in color)or coming in heat..'if you post rear end pix of everyone in question..some are pretty good at predicting if they are bred or not..we need a pooch pic, up close and personal : ) udder shot too if anything is happening there..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much! We will defiantly be calling the vet. I love my girls so very much! I also am separating the older male and the 8 week old will be fixed by a vet tomorrow too. Thanks so much for your help and I'll post pics on here tomorrow id love any input.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Congrats on your new goat family..we love pix..cant wait!!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
If you have had her for 3 1/2 months and if the bucks bred her that very last day lol she would have some udder building I would think at almost 4 months bred...so I vote no..BUT do have the vet draw blood to be sure, a pic can only tell us so much...and if he is going to draw blood any way...have her tested for CAE just for peace of mind :D

http://www.biotracking.com/?q=goats/CAE/FAQS

ps she is a pretty girl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright that's good. I don't really want any of them to be bred right now anyway, Thanks so much and yep I've called the vet and they'll be coming out to vaccine all the goats and getting the males neutered :) thanks do much for your help. :) really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My friends goats were diagnosed with CLA by the vet what can she do to keep the rest healthy and dis infect the area

1 - 9 of 9 Posts