The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this website and to the goat scene. We had 3 healthy Nigerian Dwarfs. I left town yesterday morning early. Reminded my husband to give fresh hay, water, etc. He went in to work at 430 pm for 14 hr shift. All three goats were fine when he left. He did not check on them at 7am when he got home. I got home about 330 pm. Went out to check on goats and chickens and 1 goat dead, 1 sick, and 1 fine. I have no idea what happened, nor does my husband. When we picked the deceased goat up to move it watery liquid poured from her mouth. Sick goat has very "sloshy" belly. Is it bloat? worms? parasites? Need help please.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Can the goats access the chicken feed or any feed they shouldn't get?

I would get a vet to see them asap...as far as the liquid coming from the deceased one, it's normal after death and also if the body layed for a few hours :(

Offer fresh cool water, baking soda and get temps on the remaining 2, note symptoms as well as actions as these will be helpful should you choose to contact a vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input and advice. The one seems to be improving and her sides have gone down. And liz, we have "goatproofed" our chicken feeders but it appears one may have been compromised so it is possible they gorged on layer pellets.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Chicken feed can make them sick or even kill them depending on what's in it.. Gorging on anything besides hay is also bad... So sorry :( :hug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts