The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Young buck was sick earier this week. Dewormed gave electrilghts. Seemed to doing better. He was eating good. Came home tonight and he was on the barn floor. Temp 97.4 have him in the house now.gave water with molassas as a starting point. What else can i do

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Get his temp up to 101* F....Hot towels from the dryer over him then covered with a blanket.
How old is he and what wormer and dose was used? Why did he need wormed?

Has he had any changes in his diet, any diarrhea and any drastic weather changes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He had beenlosing weight, gave him pelleted dewormer by the bag dosage. Has gotten very cold and rainy weekend

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
The pellet wormers are not a recommended way to get rid of worms if there is a heavy load.... not knowing if he has worms or even the kind makes it tricky to treat them.

Certain meds work on certain parasites... I would suggest keeping him comfortable and warm, dose him with B Complex by sq injection and depending on his weight you can give 3cc safely for 40lbs, will boost appetite. Give him some good leafy hay and keep him hydrated, get a poop sample and have a vet run a fecal on Monday.

Pelleted wormers are better used for maintenance, not for treating overloads.

I hope he gets stronger for you

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Do not feed him until he is maintaining his temp. A goat gets his temp through the digestion of food. If he is under temp, his rumin has most likely stopped (no digesting) and anything you force down him could cause toxin overload. Need to get his gut kick started. Seeing how its late, you can start off with some baking soda, hit the store tomorrow for some meds.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I've heard that dark, flat beer helps boost the rumen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts