The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just new at this...I just got a little a few weeks ago for free from a friends daughter. I asked what kind of goat he is and how old. She said the people she got him from said he is a boer and he is about 7months. I looked up a boer and I didn't think they were black and it looks as though someone cut his ears. Could someone please tell me what I got... His name is Midnight and even though he smells soooooo bad I love him to death.

ForumRunner_20131028_033524.jpg

Attachments

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
Here is a picture from a month ago. The lamancha standing to the right in front of a stall was about 8 months old in the picture. And his twin brother is the cream colored one on the left. The little grey boy in front is a Nigerian dwarf roughly 6 months old.
Just for fun the next picture is the pile of sweet potato tops that all my boys were eating just 4 hours before.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much and is he to old to be neutered or won't that take the smell away? I spend a few minutes with him and my boyfriend can't stand the smell..lol. He knows everytime I am with midnight.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Even my 12 year old daughter said lamancha as soon as she saw the pic. Horns are not a good indicator of age, so I've found at least for under a year old. I've seen some huge horns on goats that are less than a year. Look at a pen of 20 or 30 young goats and you'll see all different sizes for the horns. Yes, he can still be neutered. I would personally take him to a vet to get it done, but that is up to you. He's a little old to be banded so he'll really need to be "cut"

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
If his testes can fit in a band..he can be banded...:D I had some pretty big boys done..its less stressful and less complication then cutting..be sure to give him a tetanus antitoxin shot before you do it...Expect him to be a baby a few days..laying down alot, he wont be a happy boy but it wont take long for him to settle back in.. It takes a while for all his stink to stop...but you can be sure next rut season he wont stink..;)

I would have a fecal done to see where his worm count is and then worm as needed, include a cocci check...both cocci, worms and tape worms can stunt growth and slow horn growth.

·
8,171 Posts
If he is an only goat, he might like a neutered friend! Goats do better with other goats.
If his horns become a problem, tape tennis balls to the ends. Then he won't poke you!
Have fun, goats are great! (Definitely get him neutered! he will be much more fun!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts