Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by GoatGirlZ, Sep 5, 2014.

1. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    I went out to feed my animals and I noticed my saanen doe is looking a bit thin so I put her up on the milk stand and realize she is just skin and bones so I check her guns and they are WHITE!! I just put her in a seprate pen and now she is eating so horse senior and some wet cob with a pan of baking soda just in case she gets bloated from all the food. What so I do now she is up to date on Cdt and Bose and wormer. I am in the process of drying her up. Any advice suggestions or any thing would be helpfull .

2. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    Here us a pic of her. She is all sunken in on the sides her belly is perking up a bit

Attached Files:

3. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    Anyone any advice

4. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Do not change her diet too drastically - that will hurt her more than help her. Up her feed very slowly. :) The pale gums (check her eyelids too) tell me she is anemic and needs dewormed. I would have a fecal run and treat her for a parasite overload. If anemic I would consider giving her Red Cell until she works back up to pink. Alfalfa and herbs such as cayenne also help fight anemia.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
  6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree too. You really need to have that fecal done to include coccidia.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    Thanks so much. About cocci I don't think we have it where we live? In idaho

9. Summersun

Summersun Active Member

Apr 24, 2014
    New Mexico
    Cocci is EVERYWHERE! lol its a parasite and travels easily. Definitely run a fecal nm including cocci and give red cell to help with anemia.

10. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Coccidia is everywhere - kids are prone to it, as are adults already struggling with wormload or other health issues. Definitely include coccidia in your fecal, to be safe. A normal dewormer will not kill coccidia.

11. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    Ok thanks everyone so much. Will do

12. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Good work caring so much for her! I bet she'll clean up real nice. :)

13. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    She is deffenitly not doing good at all I'm still waiting for my cocci treatment to show up but outlooks are not good i did also noticed she also has lice so I am gonna treat for that but she is going downhill fast so I'm gonna take her to the vet in Tuesday and get a fecal test done

14. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    I gave her a calcium and a nutrition drench and now I have been giving her hot pedialites in beet pulp every night before bed to keep her warm and hydrated

15. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    Anything else I can do in the meantime

16. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
  17. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Pro bios? For giving her gut some good bacteria...

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

18. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    All goats have cocci in their intestines. Their immune system keeps them in check so they don't reproduce and cause major problems to the animal. Where your girl is thin and pale, her body is stressed. Stress causes worms and cocci to take advantage and reproduce at an alarming rate, plus they will have a bigger appetite for whatever part of the goat they live on. Get a fecal done and then use the proper medication for the worms she has. And sometimes a clean fecal does not mean they have no worms, it just means the females are not laying eggs at that particular time.

Slowly up her grain. Give her as much hay as she wants. I prefer to use the injectable iron if I have an anemic animal. Baking soda is not going to protect her from bloat, founder, polio, enterotoxemia etc when her rumen bacteria go haywire from the sudden change and amount of feed. Slowly up the amount and provide all the hay she wants. Browse is great too, if you have access to it.

19. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    B complex is a good support vitamine....what do you mean she is going down fast? whats her temp? is she chewing a cud...eating drinking? do you hear rumen noise gas or burps? Booping berries?

20. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I would not give her the calcium, it could upset the balance in her body if she doesn't have a low calcium level. Ditto for the pedialyte. If she is drinking water, giving her electrolytes can do more harm than good.

If she is eating grain, add a bit of oil or black oil sunflower seeds to add fat. You don't want a lot of fat, 5% of the total diet, but fat is calorie dense and will not cause problems like a huge amount of grain will.

Water with molasses or karo in it will give her a bit of extra energy.

Probiotics will help keep the bad bacteria out of her digestive tract.