The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a boar/kiko mixed doe. She is about 3 years old and pregnant. SHe is a healthy goat and has been perfectly fine.
I came home today to find her down. Seems she has no movement in her back legs. THey are not stiff. Doesnt show any visible snake bite signs. She will get up on her front legs but can't move her back at all like they are paralyzed. Please help! I don't want to lose her! THanks in advance

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not 100% on how far along she is. But never any issues with her back legs. She shouldn't be far enough to kid. I do know that

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Give her an injection of Banamine, 1cc per 100 lbs, subcutaneously. Also give B-Complex subcutaneously 6cc/100lbs.
Carry a bucket of water to her and a nice leafy tree branch.

What is her FAMACHA score?
What is her rectal temperature?

I'd probably go ahead and call your veterinarian. There are quite a few possibilities including meningeal worm, pinched spinal nerve, injury, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We took her some water and feed. She was sitting up for a while but now laying over on her side when we left her. She can't lay cow style since she has no movement in her back legs

·
Registered
84 Posts
We had a buckling go down like that. We were almost to the point of digging a hole when I tried giving him a new dewormer. It was Prohibit and he was up and walking the next day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke with the vet today and he said it could be a calcium issue or she could have injured herself. I have her propped up so she doesn't bloat. She was eating some the last time I checked. I am working today but trying to run back and forth. He told me to pinch her back hoof to see if she bellows and that would let us know if she had feeling or not. Unfortunatley she made no noise or even acted like she knew I was there. I pinched her hoof and up some on her leg and she didn't make a peep :(

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Have you administered Banamine or another anti-inflammatory and pain control?

Personally, I would begin the treatment for Meningeal worm. Even if she doesn't have it, the treatment will not harm her. You need a boat load of liquid Safeguard and either Banamine or Dexamethasone.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
@brookly_2007 I would read these pages: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html and http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/meningealworm.html. Then you can compare her symptoms and decide what you think she may have, and begin the treatment listed there ASAP.

It is important to keep her upright, eating and drinking. If you have the small square bales of hay you can use those to prop her up. If you can hoist her up in a sling a few times a day and massage her legs that will also help.

Can you post pictures?

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
If she is not in the safe zone to kid, do know, giving Dex may make her go into labor.

If she was and has been down for too long, her legs will go to sleep.
She won't feel anything. So the pinch test will not be accurate.

You need to get her in a sling and get her up in it. A couple of hours on and off during the day. Massage her legs and move them around as in walking movements.

A knowledgeable goat vet needs to see her and test her ketones and calcium level. If they are OK, then treatment for mengeal worm needs to be started right away.

Any other signs? Such as, her eye's darting, head bent to her flank, or slack jaw(drooling) paralyzed on one side of her face?

What is her temp?

She needs electrolytes and make her a alfalfa pellet/water slurry. About a 1/4 cup pellets goes a long ways, go out every couple of hours or so.
Make her a new batch each time.
Make it to where it can go easily through a big syringe, or cleaned out probiotic dispenser, new turkey baster.
Unless she cannot swallow or is eating/drinking well on her own.

Or she may have the kids putting pressure on her spinal cord.

Not good, you do not know her due date?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you administered Banamine or another anti-inflammatory and pain control?

Personally, I would begin the treatment for Meningeal worm. Even if she doesn't have it, the treatment will not harm her. You need a boat load of liquid Safeguard and either Banamine or Dexamethasone.
Does safeguard treat Meningeal worms??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If she is not in the safe zone to kid, do know, giving Dex may make her go into labor.

If she was and has been down for too long, her legs will go to sleep.
She won't feel anything. So the pinch test will not be accurate.

You need to get her in a sling and get her up in it. A couple of hours on and off during the day. Massage her legs and move them around as in walking movements.

A knowledgeable goat vet needs to see her and test her ketones and calcium level. If they are OK, then treatment for mengeal worm needs to be started right away.

Any other signs? Such as, her eye's darting, head bent to her flank, or slack jaw(drooling) paralyzed on one side of her face?

What is her temp?

She needs electrolytes and make her a alfalfa pellet/water slurry. About a 1/4 cup pellets goes a long ways, go out every couple of hours or so.
Make her a new batch each time.
Make it to where it can go easily through a big syringe, or cleaned out probiotic dispenser, new turkey baster.
Unless she cannot swallow or is eating/drinking well on her own.

Or she may have the kids putting pressure on her spinal cord.

Not good, you do not know her due date?
She doesn't show any other signs. I did check her eyelids and they are white with a faint pink left. She is eating a drinking some. Her bellow seems to be getting weak :( The last time I was with her she was sitting is cow fashion pretty good. I will check her again when I get home, which will be 2 more hours. If I can go ahead and treat for Meningeal worms and it not harm her, I will. I just really don't want to lose her. Our local vet is mainly a dog and cat vet but I can go get some meds if needed

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Could be pregnancy toxemia or if she's very close to kidding it might be milk fever. I would probably get a vet involved.
Or maybe pregnancy calcium defiancy - or whatever you may call it in your language? If so, a quich injection with calcium might help - but that is not at all un-dangerous, veterinary thing!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
She doesn't show any other signs. I did check her eyelids and they are white with a faint pink left. She is eating a drinking some. Her bellow seems to be getting weak :( The last time I was with her she was sitting is cow fashion pretty good. I will check her again when I get home, which will be 2 more hours. If I can go ahead and treat for Meningeal worms and it not harm her, I will. I just really don't want to lose her. Our local vet is mainly a dog and cat vet but I can go get some meds if needed
She needs some vit b injected and red cell badly it sounds like also. White lids are very bad. If she has pooped take a sample to the vet tomorrow and have them run a fecal and include cocci in it too. Look for a large animal vet that does farm calls.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I agree with a fecal to see if she has worms or cocci. https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/meningeal-worm-infection.134686/

Also check her ketones and try CMPK drench. 60 cc's, 2 x a day and see if there is any change. First though give some baking soda/water drench.
Do all this very slowly, be careful she does aspirate it. It burns the throat, she will fight and gag, but gives her the calcium she needs.
I have to ask this, are her ankles swollen? If so, that is a good sign she needs calcium. If not, it may be something else.

Get her up in a sling on and off during the day. Massage and move her legs. Reposition her when she is down, from time to time.
Them allow this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How is she?

If you think she has ketosis and need to do a calcium drench or anything else that burns (put some on the tip of your tongue to see if it burns) I found this recipe on Jeffers. Take 1 oz calcium drench & mix with 3-6 oz or red cell, 1-2 oz molasses, put in 2 scoops electrolytes or probiotocs, 4 oz selenium and about a tablespoon of brown sugar dissolved in warm water. The sugar also helps give them energy ans the rest takes the bite out of the calcium so it won't burn their throat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts