The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe, who kidded in march, has very dry skin and is losing hair. especially her tail and topline. we gave everyone copper bolus 5/24/20. but we didn't get it all the way down and she chewed hers. they get free-choice mineral. I've given 2 rounds of ivermectin pour on. but she still has extremely dry skin, and almost has bald spots. none of my other goats show any of the same problems. any ideas what wrong and what I can do??

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
It sounds like you probably took care of possible lice or mites. Then you should look at minerals. Deficient in zinc, copper and/or selenium can also do it. A little bit of flax seed oil on grain or adding a small handful of black oil sunflower seeds will also help.
Pics would be good but I would look at this too. Zinc and selenium can def cause some hair loss...more so zinc. But it depends on so much, what they are eating and any antagonist minerals.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
My Lily had dry flakey skin like that, I got replemin and did the 5day loader dose and do it biweekly now.
I also use WRS red bag but I also started putting out Redmond goat minerals free choice, kelp,and sheep minerals free choice. Not sure if it was a combination of it all or one specific thing but her skin is fine now. My other goats also benefited and so it was worth it.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,565 Posts
To me, that looks exactly what my bucks looked like when they were dealing with zinc deficiency. I got human zinc tablets and gave them weekly for three weeks and then biweekly until it cleared up. Which it did!

Is that undercoat she's shedding? That could be a copper problem too. Her coat looks a bit rough and pale to me. I have a doe that is that exact coloration. Does she have a fish tail?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To me, that looks exactly what my bucks looked like when they were dealing with zinc deficiency. I got human zinc tablets and gave them weekly for three weeks and then biweekly until it cleared up. Which it did!

Is that undercoat she's shedding? That could be a copper problem too. Her coat looks a bit rough and pale to me. I have a doe that is that exact coloration. Does she have a fish tail?
Is there a particular brand that is best for zinc pills? And in May she was given copper bolus but she chewed it. we bought her last fall and I don't think they had given her copper. I don't want to giver her copper poisoning, but what would be safest, besides free choice minerals??

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,565 Posts
If you just did a bolus in May I would wait another month before giving her another dose. Every three months is perfectly safe.

As far as the zinc pills go, it dose not matter the brand. I just got the cheapest generic ones from the grocery store.

Something you should know is that zinc inhibits copper absorption. So after giving zinc, the copper problem might get worse.

I personally would recommend getting some Replamin gel and giving her that too. That has really helped me clear up my mineral problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree that I need to know what she is low in before I got treatment. my problem with getting a mineral panel is I can't find a vet that can treat goats. I will call and see if they can just run a mineral panel.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts