The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this doe and her doeling about 3 weeks ago. Mamma was very lethargic. Eating and drinking but kind of hanging out alone. I contacted the vet who said it was because she was taken from her other kids and just needed time. So after that she had mastitis I milked and her doeling fed but she was filling before I could drain her. Put her on antibiotics and she seemed to get better. Then yesterday I go out and it looks like her udder exploded 馃槳 accessed. There is some kind of growth coming from her bag. Not udder. And she is starting to lose hair. Vet said she has never seen anything like this...she is more domestic vet then livestock. Which I can't seem to locate around me. Omg I need help. She is eating drinking. No fever and is actually up and running with the rest of the herd unlike before still feeding her doeling.doesnt seem to be bothering her at all. I don't know what to do. I've been using iodine and warm water to try and keep it clean. Sje will not let me try and manipulate her udder to see if I can expelle any of what this is. Please help

Super Moderator
Oh my goodness..poor mama. Does look like an abcess burst and contents built up and dried?? You are going to need to get her on a table or tied so you can clean that out. Wear gloves. I would have her separate from the herd right now as you don't know if you are dealing with something contagious. She really needs someone/vet with experience to see her. If she were mine..based on what I can see in the pic...I would soak the area and soften it and see if I could remove any if that growth...I would not do this if that is flesh, but if it's just if built up scab stuff I would want to remove it and flushing the area with weak iodine solution several times a day until it's heals. I definitely would milk that side out and have it tested.
Always wear gloves and be clean when messing with her. Until it's cleared up..I would keep her isolated just in case.
Plus side is she is eating and drinking, acting well. I would give her daily probiotics and take her temperature. 101.5-103.5 is normal range.

Reactions: littleheathens

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been cleaning it out with iodine and warm water. Even tied she gets nasty trying to butt or kick me. She is 5 and I have tried contacting her perious owner. All I got as a reply was she bought her bred and sold her soon as soon as the kids turned 8 weeks. and gave me the 'runt'. I debating on putting her down. All my goats are free range no fences at all. Keeping her seperate is hard. Keeping her in the barn has been a nightmare she hates being confined. Tied or lead. Her doeling is weaned but still tries to suck on occasion she lets her but there is no milk as she goes from one teet to the other . At least not the few times I have been able to hold her long enough to try and milk have I gotten anything. I am semi new to all of this. I live in a small community and I can't seem to find anyone with any decent knowledge on livestock. I can't afford for my herd to get sick...so far they all seem fine. The stuff is solid and I'm unable to remove it. I'm so sad and frustrated. 4 vets have been called and all pretty much say the same they have no idea never seen such a thing. Nearest livestock vet they could give me the name of is 3 hours away.

Super Moderator
Ugh..im sorry. It's frustrating when you're alone in it. Maybe it's going to be a wait and see what the udder does but I would be afraid of bacteria germ spreading to the herd. Not know what burst there...its a bit low for CL cyst but then ny perspective maybe off...there is a Nymph node on the back top, center of udder. CL can infect that LN. But honestly it doesn't look like CL to me.
Is that growth fleshy or more like scab? IL going to Tag a few more members that may help

@ksalvagno
@goathiker
@Damfino

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's fleshy. No signs until it just happened. Most confusing part is she seems happy and more content now then before. She is not lethargic. Up and moving. Even play butting with the others running etc no fever. No other signs of distress . I'm so torn. Lady won't tell me who she got her from. I think everything she has told me was a lie. She told me 3 but the vet suggested she is probably closer to 6-7 judging by her teeth but again she is more domestic pets then goats etc. I prob sound like a horrible goat mom. If this was my dog or cat they would have been out down. But where she seems healthy besides this I just can't bring myself to euthanize without knowing if it's the right thing to do. My biggest fear is her passing what ever she has to her doeling as on occassion she still tries to suck. Mamma let's her but I'm 100% sure she doesn't have milk.

Registered
Oh goodness! I'm sorry you're having to deal with this! I really don't have any ideas of what might be going on with her udder, but I totally understand your concern about having her with the rest of your herd. I'm wondering if you could possibly build a small, temporary pen out of cattle panels or pallets that you could keep her and her doeling in?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is a wonderful mamma and besides her hating being tied or penned she is a good goat. I should mention when I bought her her hooves were to bad it took numerous trims to even get her feet to look ok. I'm so frustrated and depressed. I cry everytime I look at her at a loss on what to do. I have a herd of 7. And not one of the others possess any symptoms of health issues. Should I just keep cleaning it and hope for the best or euthanize before she gets sicker or becomes in pain. It must hurt! I'm desperate. What would you do.

Registered
Wow. It does look like her udder exploded, like you said. It looks like tissue. I'd worry about sun burn/exposure, too.

Any university/vet school near you? Can you hobble her so you can soak and clean well, and not get kicked? I like this simple DIY hobble:

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Terrestrial animal

I'd definitely separate her somehow, start a round of antibiotics, and see if I could find a goat or dairy vet farther away that knows goats willing to do a phone consultation for a fee.

I haven't had to make the decision with bigger livestock, but we just had the conversation yesterday about some chicken ailments that we know are hard to remedy. We put in effort and try to help them but feel it only lengthens their suffering and we find it not worth anyone's benefit. So, my MO would be to try and keep her clean, isolated (this is always what we do first), and eating for a couple of days, but if she starts to take a turn for the worst, be ready to euthanize. Sometimes it's the best option. Were you hoping to breed her and milk her in the future or just pet?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is starting to lose hair around her sides when I checked her this morning. Have been giving her nutridrench and a dose of selenium hoping to keep her immune up ontop of the iodine treatment to keep it clean.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's only been a few weeks since I got her and it's been a nightmare one issue after another it seems. Who ever had her before the dumb bum I got her from bought her (if she isn't lying) looks like she was bred ALOT. so far I have treated her bloat. Hooves basically on the brink of rot. Mastitis. And watery eyes. Now this it's alot to handle and my hopes of her getting better is diminishing. Although I'm happy she is up and moving etc unlike before I just feel beaten. The vet I have has been fantastic and has helped me with all the other issues but like me She has been unable to find an answer. She has made calls reaching out to other vets and researched But they all seem to be at a loss.

Registered
Ok. Here in South Africa I actually have seen this once or twice in cows. I would firstly get her tested for mastitus. Also cancers of the udders explode like this. Its a cyst that ruptured. You will see it is on one of the main veins too. Considering her age you can concider having the udder removed. Or you can try very strong antibiotics, b12 thiamin and vit e. But I strongly recommend that 3 hour drive with her and her kid to visit the vet.

Fair-Haven
I would put her down,if she were mine - so much going on with her that may be spread.... CAE and a host of other problems. If she were treatable, its probably going to be very costly. So sorry this is your intro to goats. Many breeders are reputable and test for disease, etc..... if you decide to get into goats really ask tons of questions and have an experienced goat person go with you...... hugs and best wishes.

Registered
udder removal or euthanasia seem best. if it is cancer, even knowing if it has spread will be a big concern and potential cost, though. don't be hard on yourself! we learn from these experiences and do the best we can.

Registered
This is just my 2 cents' worth, and I don't have experience with an issue like this, as I mentioned. But if she is eating, drinking, and happy, that makes me think she isn't ready to give up yet. Of course, not knowing what she has, the risk of her infecting the rest of your herd is a potential. But if she has been running with them this whole time, they've probably already been exposed. Keeping her penned separately will lessen the chances of exposure and might make her easier to work with. If you could separate her for a few days, just to see if she will improve or worsen, she might surprise you. Of course, you are the one who has to decide what is manageable for you and in your animals' best interests. No judgment from me if you decide to put her down.

Super Moderator
Fleshy is not good. It could be a cancer. I have seen cases of Squamous Cell Carcinoma, normally seen on the recum.
You are in a hard place. Not knowing what it is. Is it contagious?.is she in pain? Will it get worse? Along with her other issues and age, euthanasia maybe the best call...but not the easiest. You have our support what ever you decide.

Wow, what a thing to have to deal with! Are her ears or tail if Lamancha, tattooed? (just curious). I
agree with everyone, whatever decision you make, you are fully supported. Only you can make the
decision to put her down, and she will probably let you know when it is time. (but animals do hide pain).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She is pygmy. No tattoos or anything she told me she was tested at her previous home when I first replied to the add but had no documentation and seemed unable to give me info on them..lost email blaa blaa type thing. Her and her doeling are the last to come Into the herd. I was researching cancers but it is hard to find real life pictures to compare the looks of the growth or what ever it is. I haven't even had her a full month yet! Not to mention she was treated for mastitis from my vet. Unless it wasn't healed mastitis shouldn't be the culprit.

Super Moderator
Cancer in the udder is pretty rare in goats but not impossible. Maybe why there are no pix to see. Now if mastitis was bad and caused scare tissue and abcesses..but I would think that would show as pus when it exploded not flesh? What you might do is have blood pulled and test for disease and her WBC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts