The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old Nigerian goat Avery will not stop trying to mate with his 6 month old sister Eleanor. Any possible ways to prevent this because I am tired of separating them. Help!!!
Thank you,
Susan Brookshire

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,539 Posts
There are 3 (three) ways to prevent him from breeding his sister. 1. Separate the buck into a pen strong enough to contain him along with another male for companionship. 2. Wether the buck and keep him separated from his sister for at least a month afterwards to allow all the sperm to die off. 3. Rehome either the buck or the doeling.

·
Super Moderator
34,617 Posts
Or you can try a buck apron..but know it's not always successful. Need to protect sister at all cost..while she maybe able to get pregnant, it's not in her best interest at this age plus better to have a buck not related to her.

Welcome to the goat forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Avery was banded/neutered last year. We now even have his 7 week old brother, Theodore.... Avery wants to hump him also! I know the banding was successful because I have his testicles in a plastic bag.... I know, I'm odd! I just do not want Eleanor hurt when her brother Avery (the 1 year old Nigerian goat) tries to mount her....but I want them all to be together, they are all brothers and sister.
Thank you,
Susan Brookshire
Plant Land lot Tree Grass Fence
Dog Furniture Comfort Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or you can try a buck apron..but know it's not always successful. Need to protect sister at all cost..while she maybe able to get pregnant, it's not in her best interest at this age plus better to have a buck not related to her.

Welcome to the goat forum.
Avery is neutered but..... I don't want Eleanor hurt.

·
Super Moderator
34,617 Posts
Awe..then there is no chance for pregnancy. Good. But the stress of him bothering her can be bad for her. Males are forever flaunting their stuff even if they are a dry well. Frequent breaks from the boys would be good. Does Avery extend himself or just pony rides her?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awe..then there is no chance for pregnancy. Good. But the stress of him bothering her can be bad for her. Males are forever flaunting their stuff even if they are a dry well. Frequent breaks from the boys would be good. Does Avery extend himself or just pony rides her?
Both! As soon as I open the gate, he is licking his lips ready to pounce! By the way..... first time mama to goats. We got Theodore when he was 3 days old because his goat mama rejected him.... I just now stopped bottle feeding him. We also have 3 Old English Sheepdogs.
Dog Carnivore Comfort Dog breed Outdoor furniture

·
Super Moderator
34,617 Posts
Maybe make her her own space and get her a female friend. Might be less stressful for all

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
7,735 Posts
Welcome to TGS. Yes aprons dont stop the action. Just helps prevent the consequences. With my goats, i have to seperate the bucklings or wethers from my doelings. My doelings need their freedom for the boys. Bucklings/ wethers will ride each other and head butt, push, and herd each other around. Doelings only do this during heat cycles. So wethers/ bucklings really need to be in their own pen together. For this action to stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts