Helping the Doe or letting them push it out themselves

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Idahodreamer, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Well, I just wanted a vid on youtube, and after three minutes, I was feeling pain for the doe.
    With my goats, the twins/trips are usually out within minutes of each other.
    This lady says her nigie doe kidded with one every 45 min and she had trips.
    Personally, I think I would have assisted.
    So, I just wanted to open this up for Nubies with preggy does this year.
    alright Pros---the great debate begins!
    Would you have assisted this doe or just let her 'do it' herself?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I let teh doe do as mch as she can herself but if the kid seems stuck or she isnt progressing fast then I will assist by gently pulling with a contraction. I will also go in if her contractions ae strong but no kid is showing --- I have saved my does a couple times by doing this as the kid was to stuck for them to get it out.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    if I'm at the birth, I usually help. just becasue I want labor over quickly, so they can relax and start nursing.

definetly make sure you try to be there, you never know what will happen. pull gently and only when she's pushing, to not tear the inside of the doe. and if you go in past your fingers, I'd put her on 5 days of penicillin

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    "Most" of the time you only need to be there and the doe will do what is natural for her. When the delivery is long or the doe is in some distress by all means help. It is a very good idea to have all your kidding supplies in a kit that you bring along.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I try to be at all the kidding but that really is not possible for me, but if I am there I never interfere unless I need to. The most i will do if all is fine is wipe the nose of the baby, then I let mom be a mom.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't like to interfere unless it is necessary. With Cordelia's kidding the baby was presenting normally but was kind of large and it was taking her a bit to get him out, so I pulled gently with a couple of her contractions and out he came. I haven't had to go in and rearrange kids (yet) as our does seem to handle it all by themselves. Thankfully! But yes, if they need help I would definitely help. In the case you mentioned, I probably would have assisted if she looked like she needed it. Each situation is different and you just have to go by your "gut" in what to do, we all know our does best. A slow delivery and taking time between each kid may just be this does way of kidding.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've been present at every birth here at our farm. Some does delivery really quickly and I don't really do anything other than clean the faces off and get most of the goo off the baby and put it in front of mom. However, if a doe is moving slowly in getting things going, I almost always help to some degree. Sometimes its just straitening out a leg or popping a bubble to see what's coming. Other times I do pull. I've only really had to "help" twice where I've had to actually go in. Those does needed that help.

I have a mixed view on helping. On one hand, they're animals and are built to deliver without assistance, but on the other hand, these are genetically altered animals that are raised to human specifications and bred by human decision. So if I breed the animal, I am present to deliver it and I'm present to assist.

I don't rush does for kiddings. I always wait for them to be actively pushing and once they are I wait for a bubble. If the doe pushes for some time and no bubble comes I will go in to see what the hold up is. I feel checking is more important than waiting for a real problem. So if I can go in or help and progress the delivery ending in a happy healthy mom and babies then I will instead of waiting, waiting and waiting and possibly losing a mother and/or her kids. Just my 2 cents.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If all is going quickly and things are in the right position ...I let them do it themselves ....however...first time moms.... I usually like helping them diolate ...for there first delivery.......it is a very painful and stressful time for them...and they think ...man...that turd is a big one....they don't know ..what is going on......Also if struggling for to long... they won't want to have much to do with their kids....because they caused her pain and agony...so that is why I help them.....I want there 1st time to be a pleasant one... :wink:
    I also help ...any of them...that take over 15 minutes......I agree with Katrina ...if you help the ones that need it.. sooner ...it creates less stress and get overly tired...if you let them push and struggle....for a long period of time.... all they want to do is ...lay down... instead of feeding and bonding with their kids .....I believe... there is a time to help them..... :hug: :wink:

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If I see a head presentation without feet (happened only once) its time to reach in & pull those legs around.
    Had one simple breech, mom had already delivered two by herself so I just pulled him on out.
    Last yr a senior doe took almost 45 minutes for her trips. She spent lots of time talking to & cleaning #1, then got back down to the rest, took her time with that one, then #3.
    I was on the phone with the delivery police about the time she was all done.
    But I agree with the others, you have to go by your guts & you have to know your girls.
    One girl always gets up & sits like a dog looks around to see whats happening back there when the bubble comes out.

10. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We let them do as much of the work as they can-but if they dont have the kid within a certain amount of time we go in and see if we can feel the kid coming out the way they should. Last year one of my mom's does decided to kid while they were gone somewhere and she wasn't delivering the kid very quickliy-I went in and the kids head and one leg were not coming correctly-so I positioned them correctly and helped deliver the kid. That was the first kid i'd acctually had to help deliver. But at least now I know what to feel for and wont worry to bad the next time I need to help deliver kids. The one thing I hate about having to help out the delivery is the potential of infection.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have had to assist and I will continue to do so as it is my decision to put them in that position anyhow, I am responsible for the outcome wether a kid needs pulled or just needs its airways cleared and I always dry the kids as much as I can do to the fact that they are normally born in cold weather.

Use your gut, know your does and always have a good goat buddy to call just in case.