Hemp hearts? And BOSS question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Allison, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Allison

Allison Crazy Goat/Cat lady

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My goats are REALLY picky eaters. They only eat the leaves off of alfalfa. They won't touch loose minerals. Won't eat any vegetables or fruits. And now to add to the list of stuff they won't eat, BOSS. I got the BOSS to make their coats shine and give them a little oil. But they won't touch them. I've tried mixing all of the above things in with food they like and they eat around it, and if they get it in their mouth they spit it out.

I was cleaning out my pantry and found a bunch of bags of hemp hearts that I bought for myself awhile ago. They are a big source of omega 3s. Would these have the same effect as BOSS? Anyone tried the hemp hearts before?

They are defiantly more expensive. But if I'm only feeding them a handful each a day it's worth if. They coats are really ruff and dull.

Thanks!
    Also any other things I could try for a shiny coat?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    No idea know about the hemp but what kind of loose minerals are they not eating?
    I have found that here in the Pac NW some of them cake up & goats wont touch them.
    Dull coats can be a sign of worm load, mineral deficiency or both.
    As for the alfalfa how often do they get fresh? Over the years mine have learned you gotta eat most of what's thrown at ya no picking off the leaves & letting the calcium rich stems go to waste.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

3. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I just use the manna pro loose minerals. When you say they cake up, is that like what happens when they get wet?
    They are soooo picky about it!
    I just weight out the amount per day, put it on top of their food. Grab the container with the leftover minerals that they ate around, and then use those again on top of their dinner grain.

Yeah, my goats are probably a little spoiled. After I put a flake in their feeder, the next morning I come out and like 75% of the stems are still there, but all the leaves are gone. So I take the leftover stems and put hem on their bedding. I just started doing that because so much stems were being wasted and thrown away I figured I'd use it instead of buying straw.
    Maybe I should leave the stems there and not give them another flake till they eat more of it? I kinda did that today since I'm out of alfalfa but can't go to the feed store till tomorrow. So they are going to have to eat the stems today! But I have a feeling they still won't, since they have access to lots of forage.

When you say fresh alfalfa, maybe I am confused, but I feed them baled alfalfa, so is that considered fresh? I always thought that the little tiny leaves that come in the bale of alfalfa were the real leaves. But are the leaves only on fresh alfalfa?

They don't have worms, just had a fecal done on them. And I did a copper bolus on them as well because I heard that that can cause not shiny coats.

4. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good to hear you are copper bolusing!
    What I meant by "fresh" was keep adding more flakes of the baled. Sorry about the confusion there. Sounds like they're going to have to starve until tomorrow. *snort*
    Yep, the humidity in this neck of the woods causes the minerals to cake up.

5. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    When I first got the loose minerals I tried to just leave them out and them eat them at will... They became a solid block in 2 days, and the goats hadn't even touched them. and so much was getting wasted. That's the downside in living in the PNW! Everything WILL get damp!

6. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Are the minerals outside or in?
    And what kind of container?
    I found that a wide piece of PVC pipe with an elbow & cap mounted undercover keeps them better than open containers.

7. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I just bought I mineral feeder off amazon, it is open, but it's in their shelter so it's in a covered area, but it's just a kennel with a roof for their shelter.

I'm going to try and make the PVC mineral feeder. I just don't want to put effort into something they won't use. I've been doing so much for them lately and they don't like anything I do! Make them a playground, make them a nice little sleeping hut, make them a hay feeder. And they won't have anything to do with any of it! Arggh

8. Sounds like your goats are fussy - I personally think that just runs in the genes. Mine wasted their alfalfa also - but I have a few sheep and they would get the stems. Now the goats get chaffhaye and there is no waste at all. I love that product. Mine get a big fist full morning and night and orchard grass am and pm. Grass hay in the feeders for the middle of the day. Seems to work out well for me. They also love kelp.

9. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Hemp hearts are good for them if you can afford to feed it to them. Chia seeds and Flax seeds are really good for them also.