The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Our wether Henry started limping and doesn't like walking on his back legs. He is following the herd but laying down a ton and they are not. He is eating.

Should we start treatment for polio/listeriosis?

Any other advice? I really do not want to lose him

We are going out now to assess more

Reactions: ReNat

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have white tail deer?
Yes tons, i am checking if we have safeguard.

We went out and checked him over and it appears that his left rear leg is injured internally (no outward signs but he is limping). We put some liniment on it and are going to get some hay and separate him from the herd. We checked his temp and it is normal, 102

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We didn't treat him for m worm because we think his leg is injured, like our goat wilbur's leg was. It is his left rear leg. It appears to be improving, we have separated him from the herd to his dismay, and we will trim his hooves before he goes back to the pasture.

Question, how fast does meningeal worm usually progress? Is it weakness in the hindquarters? On him it appears to be just the one leg. He is not dragging it, just acting like it is tender and tries not to put weight on it.

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
It slowly progresses. Starts out with anything back end. Can be a slight limp. Can look like an injury. Can be just looking like they aren't walking right. It depends on how early you notice it. If you are treating for an injury, it can appear to get better for a bit. After having my own animals have M worm and seeing others with M worm, I personally don't fool around. The worst I have done is worm them super good. By the time they are limping bad or having trouble getting up, it is too late. Learned early that you have to treat when symptoms look like everything else. When you have seen the end results of M worm, you just don't fool around if you don't know the cause of the back end problems.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would treat for deer worm even if you think it's an injury. We had to put a doe down this spring with deer worm. She started off just limping and improved occasionally so that I kept thinking it was a leg injury until it was too late. We had another start with similar symptoms and I treated with safeguard and she recovered with no effects. You're not going to hurt anything by treating for it.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
treatment for MW will not cause any harm if he does not have MW..not treating for MW and he does have it will cause much harm. This is one of those sickness that even if you think its a possibility..treat! Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok we gave him the first dose of safeguard. He has stopped limping. We got him down on the ground (only way to trim his hooves) trimmed his hooves, and let him back in the pasture. We will finish the m worm treatment.

Mineral deficiencies are probably contributing to this too, due to past neglect on our part. I can post pics and we can get into that but i think he needs another copper bolus (2 actually) and replamin. Seems everyone needs replamin.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, Henry still does not look well. We treated him for meningeal worm and I don't think that is it. A few days ago we noticed that he was laying down a lot in the pasture and looked really skinny. No scours, no bad famacha score, and no limping. He just looked "off" if you know what I mean. Some of the other goats have his same body condition but are not acting how he is.
We separated him again, and sent a fecal to the meadowmist lab service. While he was separated, he got a mix of alfalfa, beet pulp, and timothy pellets daily, grass hay, electrolytes, and daily b12 and thiamine shots. Also red cell and probiotics. All precautionary as we didn't know what to treat for. We put him back out with the herd this morning as he was getting realIy depressed being away from them and didn't want to eat much, just try to get back to the herd. He had yelled until he was hoarse, poor buddy. :( am attaching the fecal results (we had them test for liver fluke and the standard parasites), as well as some pictures/info about Henry, in hopes that ya'll can help me figure out what to do.

-Henry is 6 years old. For most of his life we were not providing the proper minerals. He started getting loose minerals (purina wind and rain red bag) about a year ago. He has been copper bolused: May 6th, 2018 (4 grams), Aug 1st 2018 (4g), Dec 3rd, 2018 (4g), May 11th 2019 (4g), Aug 24th 2019 (8g).

-We have not been able to rotate and he eats in a pasture with 8 other goats. We don't feed hay in the warm months. All wethers in his herd are his size except one of them is tiny lol. The pasture has some noxious weeds (horsenettle) due to goats eating the other weeds. They only nibble at the horsenettle, but considering it is in the same group as nightshade I don't blame them. There is also a big pond and marsh in their pasture. I totally think nutrition has something to do with this. I have been feeding them a mix of alfalfa, beet pulp, and timothy pellets (the ratio is something I found on here that @goathiker recommended) every other day. Divided into 8 bowls (3 cups of mix in each bowl) in hopes that they will get around the same amount. The 9th goat (George) goes to his own pen at night to eat.

-He was last dewormed with safeguard (for meningeal worm) starting Aug 12th 2019 for 5 days straight. Before that he was last dewormed with Cydectin pour on orally in November 2018.

henryresults.png

The lady from meadowmist said she didn't really have any answers on what was causing his symptoms. She asked if he was recently dewormed and still recovering, but the safeguard was over 2 weeks ago, and that doesn't work on much anyway right? Does anyone think he needs treatment for coccidia?
Here are the pics. This was right before we let him out this morning. The yellow stuff is b vitamin from yesterday.
henry1.jpg

henry2.jpg

henry3.jpg

henry4.jpg

He also has this issue with his eyes. They are white and we assume he is blind. They have been this way for about 3 years. He never had any pinkeye symptoms.
henry5.jpg

henry6.jpg

Here's his FAMACHA
henry7.jpg

henry8.jpg

Any advice anyone? Currently my idea is to start taking him out of the pasture daily to eat alfalfa/beet pulp/timothy pellets and start him on grain.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Have you checked his teeth? The coccidia load is moderate so yes i would treat for it. That can affect weight.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So for the cocci treatment would you use the herbal stuff you recommended? Or the usual kind (I forget what it's called but we have it)

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
So for the cocci treatment would you use the herbal stuff you recommended? Or the usual kind (I forget what it's called but we have it)
Since it's moderate and not low (and possibly contributing to weight loss) I would go ahead and treat with a chemical. But I would use the herbals too.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts