The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!
So I decided to give Molly's herbal a try. I plan to keep some Sulmet and Ivermectin on hand just in case, but see if the herbs can do the trick.

Here is my question for you... how in the world do you get them to eat it?

My goats are not on grain, so I tried her recipe for dosage balls (the herbs rolled in molasses) and they HATED it.

I tried giving them a little peanut butter...nope.

I tried giving them a cracker... nope.

All they want to eat in blackberries and alfalfa. I tried wrapping the dosage ball into a blackberry leaf and make a taco... nope.

Finally I pried their mouths open and shoved them in... and they spit it out. It was very traumatic for them and me since I don't like man-handling them. Afterwards, Butters wouldn't come near me. Any advice?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
do they like bananas? you can mush up some bananas and mix it in there. i do that for my buckling since he doesn't eat much grain and syringe it down his throat. he doesn't care for the molasses balls, but i think i may go back to that...not as messy as the syringe.... my older girls like the molasses balls now...i keep them whole and they just inhale it whole.

I also read somewhere you can make an infusion with it and syringe it down their throat.

they may hate it at first b/c they're not sure about the taste, and are suspicious of new things. keep at it, and one day they'll learn they're going to get yummy things with it and ingest without problems.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I ordered the Molly's herbal dewormer but haven't started it yet. I do remember it saying that you may have to drench them with it if they won't take it any other way. She says to mix it with just enough water to mix it up and then just shove it down their throat. Goats! I tell ya and people think they eat everything!! Sheesh! LOL

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I mix it in molasses water and drench them. After a few times, they beg for their yummy drench ;)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
oh ya...they just need to know what they're eating before they like it. silly goats. always eating what you don't want them to eat, and refuse to eat what you want them to eat. they can be such a pain, can't they???

·
4,499 Posts
I had to drench the Molly's...and everyone hated it! I recently used it on a calf mixed to make a ball w/ peanut butter...he loves it and so did several of the goats this time???

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
I recently used it on a calf mixed to make a ball w/ peanut butter...he loves it and so did several of the goats this time???
:laugh: I just bought a doe who is used to Molly's Wormer, and the breeder gave me some to give her. I dutifully mixed it with peanut butter per instructions & tried to feed it to her. Nice try! I had to pry open her mouth and shove it down her throat.
Of course then my other does come over all curious and willingly eat some; they who'd never tasted it before :( :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
My one doe ate the balls fine the other nope. I tried giving a roasted peanut in its shell a few times. The goat that hated the balls loved that-so i tricked her and carefully pulled the peanut out of two shells and stuffed them full of the mollasses ball. That was a few weeks ago. Now she eats it fine. The first few times are terrible and honestly I thought I was the worst. But it does get better. Now I am working on the babies. They are ridiculous.

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really want to thank people for their help and advice on this thread. It is very much appreciated! This Sunday I am will be attempting Formula 2, I'll see if that's any better in molasses. If not, I will be attempting all your tricks until I find something that works.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I make my own herbal wormer similar to Molly's. At first no go. I added molasses and put some stevia in to make it sweeter then rolled them in sweet feed. They gobble them up every time now.

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts