The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am mixing up some herbal dewormer for goats and sheep and i'd appreciate your suggestions and cautions.
  • 1/2 cup whole or powdered Clove
  • 1 cup Cayenne Pepper powder
  • 1 cup Cinnamon powder
  • 1 cup Garlic, dried
  • 1 cup Ginger Root powder
  • 1 cup Mustard seed powder
  • 1 cup Psyllium seed powder
  • 1 cup Rosemary leaf powder
  • 2 cups Sage leaf
  • 2 cups Thyme leaf
  • 2 cups Wormwood
i will make a black walnut hull powder (1c) and/or tincture (but i haven't included it because i've seen some cautions about black walnut and pregnancy, not sure on that but i think it's fine).

no diatomaceous earth because of dust risks and i'm not convinced it's effective unless it's dry.

i need to find dried wormwood and would like to add 1/2 c, increasing for certain cases and non-pregnant animals. are cinnamon and clove okay during pregnancy?

i'd avoid dosing this during important lactation times due to sage, are there any other herbs in this mix that dry up milk?

we'll add some fresh garlic too, but the minced is cheap and can't hurt. i think it also gets them used to the flavor and accepting of the fresh stuff.

btw, my keyboard is not working hence no caps!

·
Registered
308 Posts
i am mixing up some herbal dewormer for goats and sheep and i'd appreciate your suggestions and cautions.
  • 1/2 cup whole or powdered Clove
  • 1 cup Cayenne Pepper powder
  • 1 cup Cinnamon powder
  • 1 cup Garlic, dried
  • 1 cup Ginger Root powder
  • 1 cup Mustard seed powder
  • 1 cup Psyllium seed powder
  • 1 cup Rosemary leaf powder
  • 2 cups Sage leaf
  • 2 cups Thyme leaf
  • 2 cups Wormwood
i will make a black walnut hull powder (1c) and/or tincture (but i haven't included it because i've seen some cautions about black walnut and pregnancy, not sure on that but i think it's fine).

no diatomaceous earth because of dust risks and i'm not convinced it's effective unless it's dry.

i need to find dried wormwood and would like to add 1/2 c, increasing for certain cases and non-pregnant animals. are cinnamon and clove okay during pregnancy?

i'd avoid dosing this during important lactation times due to sage, are there any other herbs in this mix that dry up milk?

we'll add some fresh garlic too, but the minced is cheap and can't hurt. i think it also gets them used to the flavor and accepting of the fresh stuff.

btw, my keyboard is not working hence no caps!
Did you make your herbal dewormer mix?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did! I opened a wholesale account with Frontier Herbs (easy) and can by them by the pound now, which is much more economical. I didn't find everything on this list but since they aren't really activated synergistically, that's ok.

missed the question from @MellonFriend -- just googling around I found a couple different recipes and read ingredient lists in some of the popular ones. I'm pretty comfortable with medicinal herbs but not quite able to calculate proportions as well. This is just a starting point.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,626 Posts
I did! I opened a wholesale account with Frontier Herbs (easy) and can by them by the pound now, which is much more economical. I didn't find everything on this list but since they aren't really activated synergistically, that's ok.

missed the question from @MellonFriend -- just googling around I found a couple different recipes and read ingredient lists in some of the popular ones. I'm pretty comfortable with medicinal herbs but not quite able to calculate proportions as well. This is just a starting point.
That's great! How is it working for you?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We do fine with this. We're not religious about feeding it and we don't have a lot of parasite pressure typically. I think even if we did have more trouble we could count on this to help a lot. Especially with some raw garlic and pumpkin seeds thrown in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts