The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to try to make Molly’s Herbals herbal dewormer but I don’t know how much of each herb I should use.

The herbs I am going to use: Formula 1: Wormwood, Black Walnut, Fennel and Garlic.

Formula 2: Cucurbita Pepo, Fennel, Garlic, Hyssop, Mugwort and Thyme.

I was going to mix equal parts but is that too much of Wormwood or Mugwort?

Also does anybody know of a herb company that doesn’t charge ridiculous pricing? Right now I am thinking of getting them at Herb.co. Mountain Rose Herbs is too pricy for me. I am buying 4 of the herbs in 1 pound amounts.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't know about amounts. You could try tasting it and mixing up small amounts till it tastes right. Just a thought.

Have you looked at Pacific Botanicals? I remember them having good prices last time I ordered. It does take them longer to ship, like 2 to 3 weeks. Price also depends on organic or not. Which were you looking for?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about amounts. You could try tasting it and mixing up small amounts till it tastes right. Just a thought.

Have you looked at Pacific Botanicals? I remember them having good prices last time I ordered. It does take them longer to ship, like 2 to 3 weeks. Price also depends on organic or not. Which were you looking for?
I don't care either one.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,347 Posts
I would not recommend making your own dewormer. I know it sounds like a great idea, but these are very experienced herbalists with extremely careful dosing to keep the synergy (and safety) of the herbs. Plus - I don’t like Molly’s formula, I find LOH or Fir Meadow LLC way more effective. My recommendation is to use one of those. Mixing your own herbal blend is not as easy as it sounds. The amounts are precise and so so important to be correct.

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
I agree 100% with NGO 707.

I like and use LOH parasite formula it's very effective. I have not tried fir meadows but heard great things about it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,347 Posts
I agree 100% with NGO 707.

I like and use LOH parasite formula it's very effective. I have not tried fir meadows but heard great things about it.
Just to add, I use Fir Meadows and it does work just fine. I think LOH is still superior, though :):)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so I already bought minced garlic, fennel seeds, and pumpkin seeds about a couple of months ago, so I was going to try this herbal dewormer recipe for goats. Has anybody tried it before?

Mix in equal parts:
  • fennel seed
  • dehydrated garlic
  • oregano
  • thyme
  • sage
  • pumpkin seed
  • hyssop
  • red clover

Mix 1 tablespoon of the herb blend with one tablespoon of diatomaceous earth and then mix this into the daily ration of grain.

Add this natural dewormer to the feed rations for the first week of every month during Spring and Summer.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,347 Posts
I’m not really feeling that recipe. From personal experience, I know that it takes A LOT of different herbs to actually make a big difference. Go check out Land of Havilah Herbals’s Parasite Formula online. Read the ingredients list.

While hyssop, red clover, and sage, all have *some* deworming properties, you are missing a lot of the hard hitters that actually kill the worms.

P.S. dried garlic added to dewormer is pretty much an afterthought, once minced or crushed and then dried, most of its potency is gone.

1 tablespoon of diatomaceous earth has shown to have little to no benefits in deworming goats. The studies have actually shown that the benefit of DE comes from its drying capabilities. Thus, by adding it to a goat’s diet it will dry their fecal pellets to make a less hospitable environment for worms. To do this, it takes about 1/4 cup a day (or to even have an internal “slice n dice” benefit, you’d need more) and many do not want their goats’ poops dried out because it can make them hard to pass.

The dosing of the homemade dewormer is way off. Herbal dewormers need to be fed consistently and very often. They work by creating an inhospitable habitat for worms, and that takes a while to really create and have flourish. Spring and summer are not the only times goats should receive herbal dewormers, it is all year round. And it should be, at the very least, once weekly. In a wet spring, I will do every other day or the 3 days on 4 days off method. :):) hope that helps!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not really feeling that recipe. From personal experience, I know that it takes A LOT of different herbs to actually make a big difference. Go check out Land of Havilah Herbals's Parasite Formula online. Read the ingredients list.

While hyssop, red clover, and sage, all have *some* deworming properties, you are missing a lot of the hard hitters that actually kill the worms.

P.S. dried garlic added to dewormer is pretty much an afterthought, once minced or crushed and then dried, most of its potency is gone.

1 tablespoon of diatomaceous earth has shown to have little to no benefits in deworming goats. The studies have actually shown that the benefit of DE comes from its drying capabilities. Thus, by adding it to a goat's diet it will dry their fecal pellets to make a less hospitable environment for worms. To do this, it takes about 1/4 cup a day (or to even have an internal "slice n dice" benefit, you'd need more) and many do not want their goats' poops dried out because it can make them hard to pass.

The dosing of the homemade dewormer is way off. Herbal dewormers need to be fed consistently and very often. They work by creating an inhospitable habitat for worms, and that takes a while to really create and have flourish. Spring and summer are not the only times goats should receive herbal dewormers, it is all year round. And it should be, at the very least, once weekly. In a wet spring, I will do every other day or the 3 days on 4 days off method. :):) hope that helps!!
Alright sounds like LOH is the best way to go! Thanks for all the great info!

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Champion Fence Jumpers did you ever use the LOH parasite formula?
I know this question isn't directed at me, but I bought it and really like it. My doe was showing parasite stress (nasty, goopy fecal) after kidding and was back to pellets by the end of the day with the LOH parasite formula.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Champion Fence Jumpers did you ever use the LOH parasite formula?
Sorry the the late reply! The day I got it I used the correct dosage and gave them it twice a day for 3 days in a row. I put molasses and oats with it and put it on a spoon, which worked really well. They LOVED it. But now I don't know what to do. I think I am supposed to give it weekly after the first dosages, but just wondering if it would be okay to give 3 days in a row again because their FAMACHA scores are still low. It has been a week since the last treatment.

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
Yes you can give 3 days in a row again. Then go to once a week.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts