The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any herbalists out there?

Our kids are due in a couple of weeks and we're trying to find an easy herbal teat wash we can make ourselves. I'm thinking maybe a tea of an anti-microbial herb or some such.

I want to avoid bleach, iodine, and other chemicals. I'm considering the essential oil wash I've found, but would rather use something I can completely grow and make myself.

Thanks!
~Dawn

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Hmmm, I don't, and have never made, nor used a herbal teat wash that wasn't made with EO's. Here is a cool site with a lot of herbs and spices, with their properties. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5486105/

Makes me kinda want to try it out. Perhaps boiling things such as, oregano, basil, ginger, little bit of garlic, onion, or/and other things. Boil them for a while and let them steep for a while, maybe that could work. I've never done it before, so just a thought. Tempted to try and make some now, just to try it out. I think onions would be great to use. Our neighbor's plant and harvest millions of onions on their farm every year, and welcome us to have some whenever. Only thing I would worry about ginger, garlic, and onion is it may burn. If I try this out, I'll test it on my skin a few times to make sure no burning or stinging occurs. Maybe aloe would be good to add to it as well. Now I'm excited to try and make some!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I don't, and have never made, nor used a herbal teat wash that wasn't made with EO's. Here is a cool site with a lot of herbs and spices, with their properties. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5486105/

Makes me kinda want to try it out. Perhaps boiling things such as, oregano, basil, ginger, little bit of garlic, onion, or/and other things. Boil them for a while and let them steep for a while, maybe that could work. I've never done it before, so just a thought. Tempted to try and make some now, just to try it out. I think onions would be great to use. Our neighbor's plant and harvest millions of onions on their farm every year, and welcome us to have some whenever. Only thing I would worry about ginger, garlic, and onion is it may burn. If I try this out, I'll test it on my skin a few times to make sure no burning or stinging occurs. Maybe aloe would be good to add to it as well. Now I'm excited to try and make some!
Thanks for the website!
I've worked with herbs for a while, so I wouldn't boil them. Boil some water, then add to the leafy herbs and let cool, then strain and store in the fridge. With a root like ginger, you'd want to simmer it (just below the boiling point) for about 20 minutes, then allow it to cool and strain.

I wonder if the milk would start smelling like onions? ;)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Ooh, okay. Herbs are not my strong point if you can't tell! Thanks for the tips! I'll need to try a few times. Then see if it affects the milk taste/scent. Onion milk would not be very appetizing!

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
I find 50/50 white vinegar and water with a few drops of Tea tree works well for us here.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Best teat wash is Tea tree oil, Lavender oil, and castille soap (dr. bronners).

Although teat wipes can sometimes benefit you even more, at least, for providing cleaner milk, as the wiping allows more to come off than just a rinse.

I know garlic dips are good for mastitis treatment. If you dry the teat afterwards I doubt it would cause any flavor in the milk. To do this just make a warm water garlic tea/infusion.

Personally, as long as there is Tea tree and/or Lavender in any recipe of teat wash, it should be good enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts