Herbal wormer question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Chi Chi, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I am using attempting to use a herbal wormer program the problem is getting it into the goats. My goats seem to be very finicky. They don't like the molasses used to make the dough balls- or mixed into their feed. The only things they will eat so far are hay, their grain, and the licorice goat treats. They have turned up their noses at carrots, beats, peanuts, etc.... Any suggestions?

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Are you using molasses or regular pancake syrup to mix it up? I use regular syrup and sometimes that helps and sometimes it doesn't. Usually, I make a ball and cram it down their throats, doesn't sound nice, but sometimes that what you end up doing. Thankfully, most of mine will eat it mixed in feed.

Now mine do love BOSS just plain in my hand and sometimes that will work too, but only if they enjoy it as a treat.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I use molasses but usually for the first few times you have to put it in their mouth and hold their mouth shut and make them eat it. It takes a few times but they will learn to love them.

4. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks! I will try again tonight and see what happens. I so wanted to do the herbal route but now I don't know if it will work.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I use it on their grain as a top dress. I drizzle a bit of oil on the grain first so the herb powder will stick. Mine always eat it right up and lick the bowls clean now but at first I had to mix with water and drench them with it...and kids I drench until they are eating grain reliably.

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I use pure garlic juice. I put it in the syring and place it in a hot dog bun. As soon as they open to eat, surprise! They make a face then finish the bun like nothing happened.

Gina